QLD Psychologists and Conflict of Interest

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

johnsmith007

11 June 2019
Hi All
I have recently been refused treatment by a Qld based Psychologist, one i have never seen nor had any contact with, for reasons of Conflict of Interest. I have a suspicion that a former partner is a patient there but i have no direct or specific evidence that this is the case.They are refusing to provide further details citing 'confidentiality'.

My primary concern is this - given i have not had any contact with this practice previously, have signed no release forms nor provided any case files, how were they able to identify my name specifically as being a real or perceived COI? To my mind it could only be either the psychologist has spoken directly to the former partner (who is emotionally and psychologically abusive and the reason I'm seeking treatment in teh first place) and mentioned i had tried to book in, or, other staff have had a similar discussion either with my former partner or others within the practice. Again, given i have had zero interaction with them I am very concerned at how they have identified my name specifically in this instance.

If any legal professionals or those with knowledge of AHPRA could provide guidance i'd be grateful.

Alert

7 June 2019
I would strongly suggest, walk away, then confide with a new psychologist. I doubt very much the psychologist will have your information without your consent. This can destroy the license to practice what you have studied for so many years.
If you feel your ex is a patient I believe this is how the practice is aware of your name.
Your ex can talk about anything she wishes.
You can try to challenge what you feel may be true, you will need lots of $$$$. I doubt the psychologist will have anything which needs your consent. Cheers

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I've had the same thing happen with a lawyer because they represented the other party in an unrelated matter previously. It's perfectly fine. They don't need to explain the conflict because as the psychologist correctly pointed out, doing so would breach confidentiality.

Also, keep in mind that the conflict may not necessarily be related to a current patient - it could be a former patient and it could anyone at all.

Best thing is to just move on and find someone else - you don't need to know or have any right to know the details.

Alert

7 June 2019
Hey there Scruff, that was brilliant!!
I believe many can experience this situation once, twice etc etc, with, any entity, anytime, anyplace, any situation, any cause, any queries, any concern, any details, any conflict, any concern.
This causes unnecessary, unexplained, unworthy conflict and confusion. Entities can give, give, give and cannot take, take, take, why, do they believe they are entitled, I don’t know.