LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

Finding Alternate Lawyer - Conflict of Interest?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Oliver D, 24 April 2014.

1. Oliver D

Oliver D Active Member

When I first needed legal assistance for my legal needs, there were lawyers who would tell me, can I prove it, have you got any evidence, and sorry they are not able to assist me. These lawyers said they were affected by a conflict of interest. I had to keep on seeking lawyers who intentions were to fight for people's rights against a con artist and other criminal representations.

Who can I turn to, or what can I do, as the conflicting lawyers refuse to give me legal assistance? Legal Aid?

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Oliver D,
    Avoiding conflict of interest is a fundamental duty for lawyers. From the Law Society of NSW website on solicitors' duties:
    "Your solicitor must not allow their own interests, or the interests of an associate, to conflict with those of a client. A solicitor generally cannot act for you if they have previously provided legal advice to a person you are in dispute with. If you believe that your solicitor may have a conflict you should raise this with them."

If you contact a lawyer and they advise that they have a conflict of interest after a preliminary discussion, you may consider:
    1. Asking the lawyer to refer you to another lawyer that is unlikely to be conflicted; and/or
    2. Searching for other lawyers in the same location (e.g. Sydney) and practice area (e.g. Criminal Law).

Oliver D likes this.
  3. Oliver D

Oliver D Active Member

Hi John R Thanks for the reply, I realize what you are saying, can you recommend lawfirms i can go to that will fight for my rights.

4. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Hi Oliver D,
    Which state/city are you presently in?

Oliver D likes this.
  5. Oliver D

Oliver D Active Member

"Hi" Presently Sydney NSW
    (!!)

6. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Oliver D likes this.
  7. Oliver D

Oliver D Active Member

Hi. I have tried the Law society, yet currently not been able to talk to a solicitor ready to fight for my rights. as they the referrals i got where to busy. I was told to keep on trying though.