NSW Filing a Defence for the Statement of Claim?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JamesOnline

5 December 2016
I'm confused. If you receive a statement of claim, and you file a defence within 28 days, does that mean you have to attend court? Do you need to pay anything for filing a defence?

Basically, the local council has started sending rates to my property address after I left. Online, I updated my email address and elected to have publications sent there. On our online profile, we couldn't edit any other contact detail.

8 months after I left, my property manager notified me about these rates and that a statement of claim had been filed. I tried to resolve this directly with the council, but they already filed the statement of claim.

I paid the fees for each quarter, but I am disputing the interest and their legal fees (in total $564).

If I file a defence, what are the implications? I'm interstate for the next year.

Jaffasoft

5 December 2016
You can fill in word doc forms online and will not cost you anything to file a notice of defence by hand at your local court house.

Next you receive a letter from the court for mediation where you meet to try agree on paying the debt. If no agreement is made it goes to court for a hearing.

You need evidence to prove things in court. I don't like your chances but I am not a lawyer or solicitor.