QLD Errors in Statement of Claim - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danielle69

22 January 2016
My question is fairly simple although the matter is long ongoing and complex. The Financial Ombudsman Service determination was in my favour, etc. The statement of claim that was filed originally had errors and was subsequently amended (bank's solicitor's errors, fairly significantly wrong).

After the Financial Ombudsman Service ruling in my favour, the matter went from supreme court to magistrates court as a lower debt. Recently, they filed a summary judgement application and the statement of the amount claimed is clearly and significantly wrong (doesn't account for my $6000 repayments made -overstated claim by around 25%).

Should I advise now that it's wrong? Or wait til I appear at summary judgement? I have to file an outline of submissions before the court date. Is it more likely to be thrown out if I wait to prove it wrong? Does advising them early give them better chance to fix prior?

S

Sophea

Hi Danielle,

Yes I would include your arguments as to the quantum of the amount in your outline of submissions. Obviously there is less to debate over in court if you clarify a few issues beforehand and the judge will be thankful for it.

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Submit to the court an amended Statement of claim - show where you have amended.