WA Father sends son Letter of administration 10 years after mother has deceased

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anthony1974

10 April 2015
Hopetoun WA
My father has hired a lawyer & sent me a consent notice to sign so he can become the administer of my Mothers estate. My mother died 10 years ago & I'm pretty sure she had a will. It states they have enclosed a copy of the will but nothing was there. I rang the lawyer & enquired she said to disregard it as it was a typo error. I rang my father to ask about the will & he said he couldn't find it, must be lost..?
In the next paragrah it states "our client has advised us that you are prepared to give your consent to the application" I definately did not as I didn't even know anything about Probate law until now, I'm still researching.
It goes onto say that if they do not receive my consent in 14 days they can elect to proceed with the application without any further notice to me? Is this possible?

He says he needs this done so he can get the house into his name, but from what I understand once mum died he automatically does as he was the only other name on the property title? Is that true?
Just before this all started I asked my father about some shares me & my 5 sisters were given in 2014 two years after mums death. He had kept my shares in his name & now they have dissapeared. My eldest sister has become his power of attorney, does this mean if he becomes administer of my mums estate she takes control of it?
Also my father has being in a defacto relationship for 8 years now does she get a portion of the assets?

Attachments

• 1699754 - Letter - V Romaines to A Gallagher enc notice of c…(1).pdf
    243.9 KB · Views: 1