QLD Family report why does this entail

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nat 2015

8 February 2017
After some advice, yesterday was my first court date, and the other party was granted 4 hours a week supervised with a family member until we have a family report coming up in April there are 4 children in question, no orders for 17 yr old and the boys who are nearly 16 the judge wants to see what the family report comes back with, before he would even consider making orders for them.
My question is how do family reports work and are they quick and will it get back in time for the court date in April.

sammy01

27 September 2015
parents and kids are interviewed and observed interacting. Then the observer writes the report. Pretty simple. Back in time for court in April? maybe maybe not. I can't read the future. But if it isn't it will be available within a few months.

My question. Why is dad's time with the kids so limited?

nat 2015

8 February 2017
parents and kids are interviewed and observed interacting. Then the observer writes the report. Pretty simple. Back in time for court in April? maybe maybe not. I can't read the future. But if it isn't it will be available within a few months.

My question. Why is dad's time with the kids so limited?
Ok thanks, in regards to the limited time, I encouraged the older children to spend time with him, it kept ending with him asking them questions about me and not focusing on his time with them, when they were with him he would have them call me to see if I had anybody at my house, I stopped answering in that time. His been physically abusive towards them and at handovers would become agressive and angry over me not wanting to engage in conversation with him. And no it wasn't about the children.
My concern with our daughter supervising is he has manipulated her in the past, it was suggested to use his mum but he declined. I didn't request supervised it was what the judge ordered on material in front of him from both parties. He gave. Stern warning to other party " if he finds out that he has intimidated or put any pressure on our daughter he won't be happy.

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey Nat,

Unless Ordered otherwise or paid more money. The Family Report wont be released to the Court until 4 weeks after the interview date at the minimum.

Then it needs to be released to the parties by having a court date heard in the chambers. (You don't attend this it just happens)

You would need to be having your Family report done in the next two weeks to have any hope of it being available in April.

What type of hearing is the April date? Directions??? If so, you won't get any new parenting time Orders anyway.
I would expect the current arrangement will be in place until May-June.

I hope i'm wrong if this does not suit you.
(I've had two family reports done so my comments are based off how mine played out)

nat 2015

8 February 2017
The court is paying for the family report, it was so quick, I will speak to my lawyer today about it.
I am hopeful it doesn't drag out to long.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Just to get some clarification... You have a family report already booked in for April, and you have a court date in April? Without being too specific, are the two dates very close together? I agree with Jake, it's about 4 weeks before the report is released from my experience, so it sounds pretty unlikely that you could get both in the same month. When I had my family report done, the psychologist was aware of the date of the next court date and it was pretty tight, but they got it done on time. My suggestion is that if the timing looks problematic, you get your lawyer (if you're represented and not SR, you didn't mention that?) to request a change of hearing date to a little over a month after the family report date. It would need the agreement of the other party though (and ICL if there is one) but it would probably save a lot of time and money for what might be a wasted court date otherwise. Having said that, I don't know if there are other important reasons for the hearing, so it's best to get proper advice first.

nat 2015

8 February 2017
Just to get some clarification... You have a family report already booked in for April, and you have a court date in April? Without being too specific, are the two dates very close together? I agree with Jake, it's about 4 weeks before the report is released from my experience, so it sounds pretty unlikely that you could get both in the same month. When I had my family report done, the psychologist was aware of the date of the next court date and it was pretty tight, but they got it done on time. My suggestion is that if the timing looks problematic, you get your lawyer (if you're represented and not SR, you didn't mention that?) to request a change of hearing date to a little over a month after the family report date. It would need the agreement of the other party though (and ICL if there is one) but it would probably save a lot of time and money for what might be a wasted court date otherwise. Having said that, I don't know if there are other important reasons for the hearing, so it's best to get proper advice first.
Family report is being done on the 8th of April return to court the 29th of April. I think time will be not supervised and increased maybe that's why, I'm not sure it's been a while since he has seen our 4 yr old daughter

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Family report is being done on the 8th of April return to court the 29th of April. I think time will be not supervised and increased maybe that's why, I'm not sure it's been a while since he has seen our 4 yr old daughter

It MAY be possible for the family report to be prepared on time. I know the family consultants try to adhere to the court scheduling so it is possible. I think you should probably attend the appointment and ask them if it's a realistic timeframe. If they say "no way will this be prepared with enough time for the 29th April hearing", then you will need to arrange for a change of hearing date by consent, I would imagine. But if the father is pushing hard for unsupervised time and to see his 4 year old daughter, I can totally understand why he may not want to push back the hearing date and may not agree to it.

Stepmumreeree

1 April 2020
We had our family report assessment on 23rd March and have a “mention”
Hearing on May 28th. What will this mention hearing entail?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey,

You should start your own threads so we can best help you.

Mentions are basically just catch up's
It's a date to set a new date for something more important.

Only direction orders will be made no Orders about where the child lives/spends time unless it's by consent. AKA all parties agree and sign on the dotted line.

You will walk in with the judge having read the family report and they will hopefully set a date for an Interim hearing so that you can request parenting Orders.

In and out in 15mins come back in 4+ weeks is what you will be expecting.