Rules/regulations on passing on family report

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
I currently have court orders that prevent my 4 year old daughter from attending a psychologist - these were put in place by consent as my ex had previously used a psychologist to try to extract 'disclosures' - she had submitted to the court a report from the psych, who outright claimed evidence of abuse perpetrated by me, when in fact none had occurred and what my daughter had told her did not constitute anything abusive at all (as with many things, it's all in the interpretation where behaviour may be totally innocent in most contexts), it had been totally taken out of context and twisted, no doubt because my ex primed the psych to look for it and assume abuse. The court rightly recognised that the psych was biased and at the next hearing, prevented my daughter from attending any psych indefinitely unless I consented to it and could be involved in the sessions, and the family report was provided to the psych so that they had the full background.

Now, almost 2 years down the track, we still have an active case ongoing but my ex would like to take my daughter to see a psych for reasons relating to general anxiety (so she says). I said I would consent if, as per the orders, I am involved and the psych is provided with the family report. However, I suspect we may have a stumbling block in that family reports are not supposed to be shared with anyone not directly involved in the case - not even extended family members. So even though the court orders stipulate that the child can only see a psych if the psych has a copy of the family report, it may not be legal to provide it? The exact wording of the orders is:

That the Wife is hereby restrained, without the expressing written consent of the Husband first being obtained, from arranging or having the children, or either of them attend upon a counsellor, psychologist, psychiatrist or any other mental or alternative health professional.

That should any attendance upon a mental health professional occur, that such professional attend upon and report to both parents, and that they be provided with a copy of the Family Reports.

So are we unable to provide the family report until we get back in court and get specific orders/permission? Or does the implicit consent in the orders allow us to do so immediately?

Atticus

6 February 2019
That should any attendance upon a mental health professional occur, that such professional attend upon and report to both parents, and that they be provided with a copy of the Family Reports.
Just an observation, but the wording seems a bit clumsy ... To avoid doubt over who 'they' refers to, it should be >>> that they the mental health professional be provided with a copy of the family reports.
As it is it 'they' could be interpreted as the parents are to both receive a copy of any new family report resulting from the appointments.

Anyway ... I would think that if an order specifically instructs that the FR's be supplied to any mental health professional you engage, then to not do so would amount to a breach .... In any event, a court order is unlikely to have been made that was in conflict with any rules, & if it were in conflict, who would be the complainant?
I suspect we may have a stumbling block in that family reports are not supposed to be shared with anyone not directly involved in the case - not even extended family members
Is there a specific rule (other than s121 that deals with publication) that you have in mind?

CSFLW

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
24 September 2018
Hi Glass HalfFull

If, as you say, there is an order by the Court that there is liberty to provide the 'mental health professional' with a copy of the Family Report.

Without seeing the Orders accompanying the Family Report, if it should say something to the effect that that if accompanied by this order the report can be provided to an individual or organisation to whom a specific order permits.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Just an observation, but the wording seems a bit clumsy ... To avoid doubt over who 'they' refers to, it should be >>> that they the mental health professional be provided with a copy of the family reports.
As it is it 'they' could be interpreted as the parents are to both receive a copy of any new family report resulting from the appointments.

Anyway ... I would think that if an order specifically instructs that the FR's be supplied to any mental health professional you engage, then to not do so would amount to a breach .... In any event, a court order is unlikely to have been made that was in conflict with any rules, & if it were in conflict, who would be the complainant?

Is there a specific rule (other than s121 that deals with publication) that you have in mind?
Yeah, I agree about the wording.

I also agree that to not supply the FR would be a breach IF I were to engage the psych, but when it's prohibited to share the FR, doesn't that mean that in effect, we cannot engage the psych because doing so would require us to breach the Family Law Act in order to fulfil the requirement of the orders? And no, I don't have any knowledge of other rules, I just knew I wasn't able to share the report with anyone. Isn't s121 enough?

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Hi Glass HalfFull

If, as you say, there is an order by the Court that there is liberty to provide the 'mental health professional' with a copy of the Family Report.

Without seeing the Orders accompanying the Family Report, if it should say something to the effect that that if accompanied by this order the report can be provided to an individual or organisation to whom a specific order permits.

There weren't orders accompanying the FR, the FR was arranged privately by consent between hearings from memory, and was produced in advance of a hearing. I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

sammy01

27 September 2015
surely if you and the ex agree that the family report be given to the shrink there is not problem...

Atticus

6 February 2019
Yeah I agree with @sammy01 .... If you both agree, I can't see who the complainant would be, & if there was an issue, you can point to a court order that allows it.

Given her past form, I wouldn't be agreeing on a psych unless you are absolutely 100% convinced that it's necessary

sammy01

27 September 2015
Get it in writing about giving the report. Your choice of shrink and u attend the first appointment. Sure she can come too and she can hear u express your concerns to the shrink...

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Yeah I agree with @sammy01 .... If you both agree, I can't see who the complainant would be, & if there was an issue, you can point to a court order that allows it.

Given her past form, I wouldn't be agreeing on a psych unless you are absolutely 100% convinced that it's necessary
I guess I assumed that the Family Law Act overrides the orders' implicit allowance to do something. A bit like the way an IVO prevents you having any contact with the protected person even if they invite you over for a cup of tea. ;)

And yes I still have my concerns, and I'm not 100% convinced it's necessary (it's about minor anxiety issues, just emotional overreactions to certain situations, but what young child doesn't occasionally have those?), but I've already spoken to the proposed psych and let them know what has happened previously. I think they'll see even more clearly what has happened once they read the family report which backs me up, and in fact suggests that if a psych is engaged, that they be familiar with family law (implying that they know how how to read the signs of manipulation). The psych I'm looking at was specifically recommended for that reason.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah I reckon a bit of well earned over vigilance on your part. Totally understandable.
Remind me. Give us the short version of your story.