Rules/regulations on passing on family report

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Short story is that a couple of years ago, I was the primary carer of my daughter when she was a baby/toddler. When she was 2 years old and we had just had a second child, my ex and I separated because of a false allegation made against me (there's no way to explain properly that with a short story, but in summary, my 2 year old daughter who was barely verbal told my ex I blew on her while changing her nappy and she thought it was a fun game), she went to child protection, child protection asked me to leave the home until they had investigated. Then she took out an IVO based on lies against me a couple of weeks later (almost certainly calculated to permanently exclude me from the house and to assume full custody of the children). If anything, my ex was actually abusive to me over the years.

At this point, I went to a lawyer and filed an initiating application in family court. Because of the seriousness of the allegations, I had to have private professional supervision with the children for about 9 months (at a cost of $100+ per hour). Had to submit to a forensic psycho-sexual evaluation which looked at various reports and all the court affidavits etc which effectively found that child protection had been overzealous and biased and there was no evidence to suggest I'd done anything wrong and that there were numerous innocent explanations. The evaluation and a subsequent family report recommended supervision be removed effective immediately. However, because the mother had by now assumed primary care of the children and was not agreeable to me having any time with the children at all (she said to the family report writer that it was her preference that I not have any contact with the children until they were old enough to decide for themselves - they were 3 and 1 at the time!), I had to fight in a number of hearings to increase my very limited time with the children. My ex's default position is pretty much "no" to anything and everything, and so far there has been no repercussions. When backed into a corner on the day of court, she makes concessions to 'appear' reasonable, but it's clear I have to litigate at every stage.

We've now been in family court for two and a half years and I've now got every second weekend and 2 days for 6 hours during the week (I'm currently not working, so we have orders that allow this but if and when I gain employment, I will lose this time and fall back to just every second weekend) with the kids but only one overnight a fortnight. The kids (now 2.5 and almost 5) and I have a great relationship, I've since re-partnered and they have great relationship with my partner too and are very relaxed and happy with us, no anxiety about returning to mum or missing her when they're with us. I'm trying to increase this time to more than one night at a time, including some weekday overnight time but because the mother is so resistant to any agreement and the court is so conservative about giving the father substantial time when there is conflict between parents, so progression is very slow. We're now waiting in the trial pool for a trial date and while there, it's difficult to get any new court orders. Our current interim orders don't extend any progression into 2021 despite the family report recommending increases in time for me (for example, the family report recommended we split summer holidays 50/50 on a rotating 3 or 4 day rota, my ex ignored it and said no and because we had no orders relating to holiday time, there was nothing I could do), so we're all stuck where we are for now.

At least things are out of the weeds now as far as serious allegations go and I have a mostly normal court case of how to best split the time between parents, but there's still an undercurrent of concern on my part - my ex said to the family report writer, after being told that supervision cannot continue, that she will just have to wait and see and will go straight back to child protection if she had any more concerns or disclosures. So I can tell she's still gunning for me despite there being absolutely no evidence of any abuse. I just have to be extra careful not to give her anything that could be taken out of context again.

OK, so that wasn't short in the end. It's a long messy cautionary tale about being careful who you end up procreating with.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah I remember you now. Fark you've had a rough trot. Mate keep going. If you get 5 a fortnight you're winning. My kids hated 5 a fortnight because it wasnt fair.... To be honest. I worked full time. She didn't. I have 3 kids. So 5 afortnight was good. Enough time with the kids and enough time without them to maintain work life balance.

I'm gonna change my mind on my advice (maybe). If you don't think the kid needs counselling then refuse. WHY? because you can. Give her a bit of a taste of her own medicine.... That said, there is a good argument for agreeing. You're still in court. Helps make you look like the sensible parent.... Contradiction again... Counselling for a kid that doesn't need it. How can that be anything but bad for the kid.... But I think you've got good advice here. Show the family report. Make sure you're involved in the counselling if nothing else it will look good in court and a good counsellor cant do that much damage.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
Yeah it's been a s**t couple of years, progress has been slow but meaningful. I still remember that you were the first to offer me advice after my initial post here, and you offered to listen (we briefly emailed privately) to when I was pretty much at rock bottom. So thanks for that. We haven't always agreed on strategy but I appreciate your perspective on pretty much every post I see here.

Yeah, I don't think the counsellor I'm looking at can do much damage. She knows there's been attempts to gain disclosures from a psychologist in the past, and she has a background in family law (Although not as much as a psych that prepares family reports, I suspect). She's already given me a verbal agreement that she will only focus on what she's been brought in to address. If my ex tries to steer things back to disclosures or otherwise shows herself to be badmouthing me and making it an issue between parents rather than about the child, I suspect she will go in to bat for me and possibly write up a report which is favourable to me. She seems to be very no-nonsense, which I appreciate.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I'm not 100% convinced it's necessary (it's about minor anxiety issues, just emotional overreactions to certain situations, but what young child doesn't occasionally have those?)
So your daughter is what, 5? ... Anxiety issues? I would want to be very convinced that a psych can give a 5 year old meaningful coping skills.

I expect it will be more about what makes her anxious, & given mums past form, I wouldn't be at all surprised that in her mind it's you, your new partner, or something you related... Personally I wouldn't be introducing a new level of complexity into your case (cause you know it's going to be raised in court somehow right)

Me ex insisted on our then 9 year old seeing a psych about anxiety & behavioral issues ... didn't matter that mum had recently remarried, had a second child, moved to a new house on the other side of town to a new school where she knew no one & had to go cold turkey from seeing any of her old friends.... No, in mums mind it was somehow my doing.

My daughter got zero coping skills & only remembers being forced to sit, draw pictures, play puzzles & talk to this 'weird guy'

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
She's 4, turning 5 soon. Yeah, the psych has already implied that at that age, counselling isn't going to work without the involvement of parents, implying that it's going to be about what makes her anxious and how the parents can reinforce the methods taught. I have no doubt that mum thinks it's me or that I'm bad influence somehow. She is constantly nitpicking my parenting. Not so much directly to me, it usually comes in the form of an affidavit since she she's loathe to communicate directly about co-parenting with me.

In fact, back when things were still supervised and my daughter was 2, she went back to her mum's after spending 2 hours under supervision with me and apparently killed a chicken in her backyard (the details of how it happened were never explained). Granted, that sounds pretty horrific and not at all in her character (these days she doesn't even like picking flowers because "then the bees won't be able to eat"), but it was suggested in affidavit that I somehow caused her to kill a chicken and therefore due to my 'bad influence', I should not continue to see my daughter because I upset her. She also said in an affidavit that my daughter only enjoys spending time with me at my mother's house (daughter's grandmother) because of the 2 kittens she had at the time. It would be laughable if it didn't have the potential to sway people in a position of power over the situation, but thankfully it didn't. My kids and I have a great relationship and their mum never even sees us together other than at handover but she has regularly tried to speak for our kids and what they think and need. Only yesterday, I put a new bandaid on her foot as the one mum applied had fallen off. She said that by doing it, I was helping her mum, and then asked "does that mean mum might want to be friends with you again?". I think she deeply feels the way her mother is hostile towards me, and if anything, THAT could be a cause of anxiety. I do my best to shield her from it, but it's hard. I had a short holiday last week and missed some of the days I would normally spend with her and her mum would not agree to any catch up days on either side of the trip, so it ended up being over a week that I didn't see her. When I saw my daughter next, I told her I missed her and was glad to have her again. She asked "why didn't you ask mum to see me?". What can I say to that? White lies to protect her from her mother's selfishness? Anyway, that's life I suppose.

I'll see how the sessions go. I've already said I would agree to her seeing this psych so it wouldn't look good to suddenly withdraw consent out of paranoia before she's even had a session. However, given the orders do effectively give me the veto power, if I don't see the sessions being useful or I don't like the direction it's heading, I will consider stopping it I suppose. Of course that could also backfire in that it might seem like I have something to hide.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I've already said I would agree to her seeing this psych so it wouldn't look good to suddenly withdraw consent out of paranoia
Don't write off your gut instincts, both you & the kids have been put through the wringer as a result of this nutters lies & manipulations.

Paranoia is an unjustified fear or mistrust ... Your fears are totally justified. Great if you have talked with the psych & she has been able to satisfy your concerns over HER role in this, but just be prepared for the inevitable from the nutter..... If there is a ghost of a chance that anything from these sessions can be used, she almost certainly will.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah - I agree Atticus. But this guy is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Refuse the counselling and SHE will go back to court and yell how the father isn't supporting the health needs for the kids. Nutters cant ever be right when arguing with them. Can't shoot 'em.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
So the latest (in the last few hours!) is that my ex has arranged the first appointment, and the psych has suggested that she she attend it without me, and I attend the following appointment. Even though it was against my better judgement because I originally only consented as long as I could attend all sessions, I initially agreed to alternate sessions as I thought/assumed that I would still be given a report of each session and what is discussed. However, I've now asked for clarification about when my session would be and exactly how I would receive a report/feedback given I wouldn't be present at the first session, and the psych has responded to say:

"No - there are no reports to each parent: it must be remembered that the sessions are referred via a GP referral from a doctor and the child is the patient. Rather, we provide advice and strategies for both parents to work on."

This is actually now against the advice of my family report and court orders which state " That should any attendance upon a mental health professional occur, that such professional attend upon and report to both parents". It also seems to be implied by the psych that because my daughter is the patient, that she somehow enjoys some kind of confidentiality and that her parents shouldn't expect a report of what occurs in the session? I mean, I totally understand if it's a teenager who may have some autonomy and control of her medical history, but my daughter is 4. I'm now wondering whether I should withdraw my consent, especially since it seems to be drifting further and further from what I originally consented to.

GlassHalfFull

28 August 2018
I sent a reply asking for further clarification about how the court orders and spirit of the family report recommendations may be accommodated and got the following reply:

"... sending written reports to parents at each session is absolutely not how clinical psychology works. As previously discussed, we would arrange for <daughter> to be seen at separate cilnics for her wellbeing and comfort; but this is to treat her anxiety and to advise both parents how to further this. This is the nature of the intervention which we would offer. “Reporting” to both parents as commonly understood, involves feedback and advice - not written reports to yourself or to Mum."

What do you think? Am I being a stickler? The irony is that my ex obtained a 'report' from the previous psychologist accusing me of sexually abusing my 2 year old daughter, based on a total misunderstanding/hostile interpretation of 'blowing' on her while changing her nappy.

I'm tempted to just say that I would like to attend all sessions rather than alternative sessions, but I have a feeling that this would not please the psych (or my ex) as she suggested we attend separate sessions to avoid conflict between parents and to not expose our daughter to undue stress. All I know is, the conflict is mainly from my ex, I'm more than happy to co-parent as equals, calmly and child-focussed - despite what has happened in the past. So the question remains: should I concede to alternate sessions for my ex's comfort, or is the onus on my ex to put her baggage to the side and actually work with me in the best interests of our daughter... I think I know what your advice will be. ;)

Last edited:

Atticus

6 February 2019
I can see your dilemma, but lets be real.... the child is barely 5, doesn't even attend school yet but has anxiety issues!! I'm willing to bet London to a brick that the child is not the problem here, but rather the cumulative affect of her dealing with parenting issues for all of her short life. She shouldn't be treated as a patient IMO... When a high conflict case comes before the family court, do they send 4 & 5 YO's to a shrink? No, they send the parents to a parenting course.

All that I can see coming out of these sessions is that the psych confirms what you surely already know, ie, the kid is suffering emotionally from the stress of all this. She may recommend this & that, & if you BOTH agree that this & that is what's needed & BOTH work together like adults for the kids sake, something worthwhile may come from this, but, that could be achieved without the poor kid being subjected to more sessions with a shrink.

I would have played this differently... Mum comes to dad & says the kid has anxiety issues, & I want to send her to a psych... I would have said, no, the kid has been to enough psychs, it's us that needs to go see a psych or family counselor to get our Sh*t together as parents for her sake... If she can't put her animosity aside long enough to sit in the same room as you with a professional in an effort to help the kid, then the court could make of that what it will.

I'm not having a go at you GHF, I believe you are the stable, sensible half of this equation, but I can't help thinking this has the potential to go pear shaped, & unless you BOTH work together to implement WHATEVER the psych recommends, it's just going to amount to another chapter in long & sorry saga ... Just my opinion for what it's worth.