NSW Family Court - What will a Family Report Entail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kyl

25 July 2016
The family court ordered a full family report to be conducted. What will this entail?

Will the family consultant be interested in looking at text messages, emails, etc. that show how the ex continually calls me insane, liar, nutcase, etc. along with putting all blame onto me about any issues to do with the kids, along with a open disregard for complying with orders that don't suit the ex at any particular time?

Can such a report indicate whether ex behaviour is indicating a mental problem or not?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
In most circumstances, family reports are submitted primarily to assess the quality of the relationship between the parents and the kids. The writer will observe how the parents interact in turn with the kids, how the kids respond to each parent and whether the parents act in such a way that they recognise and can meet the needs of the children.

It's really not an opportunity to try and get the writer 'on side' with you. In most cases, a parent who complains about the other parent to the writer ends up with commentary in the report that indicates they have contempt that risks them not being able to support and encourage the kids' relationship with the other parent. It's best to just focus on your kids, not your ex.

Junior

13 November 2014
I agree with @AllForHer, focus with your children not with your ex. Stay calm from the very start up to the end of the interview. @Kyl, Is this your first Family Report? Know your Family writer eg...backgrounds and educational attainment.

Kyl

25 July 2016
It's a family consultant report. The first one was only about a page long, I understand this to be more than that. They gave me a date but havn't told me who it is. Am I allowed to find out prior who is doing the report?

Jacqueline88

7 August 2016
The Family Consultant is your new best friend. Trust me on this. The report has been ordered because a magistrate can only listen to 'hearsay', so the job of the Consultant is to assess the family unit and make recommendations to the magistrate for the ruling. All the recommendations by the Consultant were implemented by our magistrate.

I did not bring any documents as such but assumed she had seen them via my lawyers submissions. I did not put down my ex to her. I was determined to show the court that although I disliked his bitter behaviour toward me, this was not a tug a war contest and I refused to bite back at his lies and allegations. I talked about the concerns I had for the children in his care, such as education and health, but made it clear i wanted them to have a relationship with him as well. Bottom line he was neglectful of their needs, and when the children were interviewed they said the same. None of us were interviewed together.

The only time we were together was during 'observation', where the consultant views each parent spending time with the kids doing activities to see how you get along. My ex went in o his interview and slandered the hell out of me.

End of the day, I won.