VIC Family Law Rights as a Wife?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

meera

18 July 2015
Hi, I married an Australian resident 5 years ago, staying and working with him, but still don't know what are my family law rights as a married woman. Do I have any say in his financial matters and bank account? Do I have any right on his income and property?

I feel insecure as he sold all his assets and now nothing is on our joint account and nothing in my name and apparently shows loss in business when all other expenses done on large scale and I feel something is not correct. Why is he doing like this is he not trusting me or am I being fooled in the name of marriage?

Is this the right legal forum to put this kind of query? Feeling so helpless because I have no knowledge about Australian law and even don't know whom to contact before taking any decision for my future. Will going back to my country be a good option or will I be supported in later stage?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
This is more of a domestic issue than a legal one at this stage. Married parties can organise their funds however they so choose, meaning there is no law that governs such decisions until such time that the parties are unable to agree. If the parties can't reach agreement about property or parenting matters, usually following separation, then the court can intervene, but not before then.

Thus, you would find more solace in counselling than legal remedy at this stage. Relationships Australia might be able to help you with this.

Reactions: Victoria S

meera

18 July 2015
thnx for the reply my only question is do a married woman has any right inv husbands salary and income.
Do they share the assests
or a man can fool his wife by saying loss in the business when its not
do a woman have to go to that end to take support of court to finish everything bcoz after that normal relationship is not possible

meera

18 July 2015
Is there any link via i can go and see what law says about the rights of a woman in this condition. Bcoz i am alone here living in dark either i have to go back to my country to search for options bcoz i discussed a lot with my partner and he says putting ur name in business accounts is not possible. and he says whatever we will build will be on our name. but its not possible when there is loss building new things is next to impossible

meera

18 July 2015
before marriage he made many promises and shown good financial condition with business and huge real estates but within a year after the marriage his assets sold out and verbally declared loss though we are living very budget life. Both of us are working for the last 5 years but no salary restricted expenses and disharmony. situation is very suffocating at present.

Victoria S

9 April 2014