VIC Family Law - How to Terminate Parental Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SingleMum88

30 March 2018
My ex and I have a 15-month-old, he had been physically abusive to me and police have been involved and is currently awaiting court on the matter as well as another issue. He hasn't seen his son since the last incident (4 months ago) and I've had DHS involved and told them I am wanting to terminate his rights as I don't trust him with our son and don't want to have my son with someone who may hurt him.

DHS have said because of what's happened and all, I have a good chance of terminating his rights as he is violent and playing like it's nothing. He choked me on multiple occasions to the point I had marks on my neck and almost lost consciousness. He has been to court for theft, stalking someone and violent outlash in a car, this upcoming abuse case against me and starting a bushfire after leaving after abusing me. What are the chances I can terminate his rights?

My son's safety is important and don't want him subjected to a mentally unstable person who could at any moment hurt him. I don't care if he has no father around as his safety is more important and he will have other male role models you look up to.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
You dont get to terminate any rights.. only a court does. You might not care about your kid seeing Dad, but i bet you the court will. You also do not get to pick and choose who should be the father role model.

Sorry for what has happened to you but fair warning.. The court is hardly likely to be as drastic as you want

AllForHer

23 July 2014
When you say there's a pending 'abuse case' against him, are you talking about an AVO/DVO application?

Or are you saying he's been charged with a violent crime and is awaiting trial?