NSW Family Law - Daughter No Longer Wants to See Father?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
7 November 2016
I have had a child contact order under family law in place with my ex-partner for the past 10 years. Our daughter is now 11 years old. My daughter's step mum has been wonderful, but she has now also separated from my ex-partner. Our concerns are that my ex is an alcoholic and uses marijuana on a regular basis, and in the last to 2 years has become irrational and abusive.

My 11-year-old no longer wants to see her dad since her stepmum has left, cause she says her dad does nothing with her anymore, all he does is drop her off to her nan and pops while he goes to the pub. We have also been told that he drives my daughter around while under the influence of alcohol , to the point that the stepmum had a breathalyser at home and made her da use it before he drove.

My daughter has also witnessed her dad being physically abusive. We are really concerned for my daughter. The effects her father's behaviour is having on her and that my daughter has also requested not seeing him, she didn't even want to see him for her birthday, but was encouraged to do so.

If he was rational, I would talk to him, but all he would do is yell, scream and make threats to me.

Lance

31 October 2015
Aside from the fact that your daughter no longer wants to see her father, you need to consider if you genuinely believe your daughter is in danger of physical abuse or from being in a vehicle while her father is under the influence.

If your daughter is at risk you should speak with a lawyer and commence proceedings in a family court to put orders in place to protect your daughter. If you would like to find a lawyer in your area, you can find one at: https://lawtap.com/au/