VIC Car Accident - Driver Drove Away - False Plates?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

depende

10 February 2015
Hi guys,
I hope somebody can help me!

Somebody hit my car in the back. When I get off and said that I'm going to call the police the man ran to his car and drove away!

Police are informed about the car accident, but can do nothing because the car description that I gave them is not match with the car description from the registration number! I have only third party car insurance and they are not going to pay my car damage! Fortunately, I have his registration number which is REG 355 from the state Victoria.

WHAT CAN I DO?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Depende,

I just typed in the registration number you provided into the VicRoads search function and it came up with this: VicRoads: VRE

Vehicle Type Car/Truck
Victorian Registration Number REG355
VIN/Chassis Number MNABSFE401W203455
Engine Number WLAT272043
Colour WHITE
Make FORD
Body Type DC UTE
Compliance Plate Date 09/2001
Year Of Manufacture 2001
Learner Approved Motorcycle (LAM) Not Applicable
Goods Carrying Vehicle Yes
Transfer Dispute No
Registration Serial Number 6120541
Registration Status Current
Registration Expiry Date 23/06/2015
Sanction(s) Applicable No

Does that description match that of the vehicle that hit your car? You could use this information to call back the police and attempt to get the car owners contact details. Let us know how you go.

Reactions: John R

depende

10 February 2015
Hi Ivy,

Thank you so much!
That car hit my car! I've informed Police and you know what? They said that in their system it shows another type of car (perhaps a bug in their system)! He checked than in the VicRoads and confirmed that I'm right! I can't believe it! He said that he will now start the investigation and inform me in a couple of days!

But what if the owner of that car says he wasn't the one that hit my car? What are my chances?
I wasn't alone in my car, my wife was siting next to me, she would be a witness right?

Reactions: Ivy
S

Sophea

Your testimony together with your wife's testimony as well as any forensic evidence they can obtain may be used. For example there may be trace of some white paint left on your car from the one that hit yours, and there may also be damage to his vehicle with trace of your vehicle left on it.

Ivy

10 February 2015
I'm glad that was useful. Good luck with getting the issue sorted out.

Phildo

1 November 2014
You'll make a crash report, with licence plate details.

Police will (eventually) contact the owner, and most likely provide you with such details.

I'm in a similar situation. Someone reversed a taxi into my personal car on the weekend and took off. Unfortunately for the driver, I am very knowledgeable about the taxi industry, including such things as 24/7 GPS tracking and camera footage.

The driver has been contacted but is avoiding me. What could have been an easy $1,000 fix will now be a $6,700 insurance job. Plus a police fine of $1500 for failing to provide his information (and possible licence suspension). And there's the likely Careless Driving charge. All that before the Dept of Transport get stuck into him (possible cancellation of taxi licence),

Check the law in your state for failing to stop and/or provide details after an accident. Here in WA it's covered by Regulation 55 of the Road Traffic Act and is a fine of $1500 and possible licence suspension.