QLD Who is Liable for Car Accident on M1?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
27 June 2016
Hey all.

I'm in a bit of a bind and I'd love some help. I was driving along the M1 the other night, in pretty congested traffic (but not enough to really reduce the highway speed). I notice an L plate driver ahead and decide to back off as much as is safe.

All of a sudden, all wheels on the car ahead lock up and it fishtails then screeches to a dead stop on the highway, no stopping lights at all, no warning.

With no time to react to the sudden stop, I slam my brakes and pull to the side as best I could... but I just couldn't stop and I slammed into it. The driver's mother informed me that they thought they were gonna hit the car ahead and she pulled the handbrake.

Their car insurance company rang today and straight up asked if I accept liability for the car accident.

I mean, that has to be negligence on their part right? I mean I had no warning at all, not even their brake lights.

S

Sophea

The general rule is if you hit from behind you are at fault. The only exception usually is where someone behind you pushed you into the car in front.