VIC False Information Given to Police - Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lalith

12 February 2019
Hi,

My friend was driving his car. He was drunk and I was in the car behind as he was drunk and speeding his car. He crashed and my friend got injured [wrist dislocation and fracture].

At that time, my friend asked me to say that you're driving my car so that everyone will be the same. So I decided to say to the police that I was driving and they took my statement. I said the same that I was driving.

After one month my friend got a call from police and he recited charges police came to know that he was driving and after 1month they are requesting to meet me in the police station

What I said was false information at the first statement. What are the charges?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Possibly Documentary perjury or Make false statement or Pervert the course of justice..
It depends on various factors but courts take these offences seriously.

Lalith

12 February 2019
Possibly Documentary perjury or Make false statement or Pervert the course of justice..
It depends on various factors but courts take these offences seriously.
At that time we are confused and tensed we want my friend to go hospital,we thought if police charge him he will be in station instead of hospital and he has very pain at that moment.We haven’t want to do that intentionally that’s because of tension and fear.Thank you so much for your reply

Adam1user

5 January 2018
At that time we are confused and tensed we want my friend to go hospital,we thought if police charge him he will be in station instead of hospital and he has very pain at that moment.We haven’t want to do that intentionally that’s because of tension and fear.Thank you so much for your reply

You will be in trouble, the above are not excuses. Police are to protect not hurt, even when someone does bad things, the police will take that person to hospital (when required) and will be under guard. Trying to say to court "I did not know that as this is the first time I did it" will not work, as an average person who never ever been in trouble with the law knows this, from the news and TV shows/movies.
Get yourself a lawyer.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi,

My friend was driving his car. He was drunk and I was in the car behind as he was drunk and speeding his car. He crashed and my friend got injured [wrist dislocation and fracture].

At that time, my friend asked me to say that you're driving my car so that everyone will be the same. So I decided to say to the police that I was driving and they took my statement. I said the same that I was driving.

After one month my friend got a call from police and he recited charges police came to know that he was driving and after 1month they are requesting to meet me in the police station

What I said was false information at the first statement. What are the charges?
I agree that you need a lawyer to represent you.