Ex-boyfriend and his Parent Threatening Me - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nikki

9 July 2014
My ex boyfriend never lived here but as he loped between his brother's house and his parent's house I allowed him to store his a few bits of furniture etc., here at my own place. I have willingly returned all of his items. Now he wants back gifts he bought me for Valentines Day, and a phone he bought me after he smashed my other one. Him and his family (they own an investigation and repossession agency) are calling and threatening me to return these items or they are going to contact Centrelink (I receive a study allowance and FTB from them) and tell them that the ex was living here for six months and paying me $1200 a month for 6 months! This is utter rubbish and he never gave me this money nor is he attached to my utilities or my mortgage or has any transactions between our accounts!! The ex and his parents are threatening me, harassing me and trying to intimidate me, what can/should I do?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Go to the police and tell them you are being extorted(?). They are not always helpful but worth a try.

Reactions: Nikki

Nikki

9 July 2014
I will be going to police I think. They also told me that they had recorded a phone call between me and the ex and because they're private investigators they can use it against me. I thought this was illegal?

Nikki

9 July 2014
If someone says "I'll use this recorded phone call against you if you don't do what I say" I would think this constitutes blackmail?

miss alley

21 April 2014
Melbourne
Illegally obtained evidence may still be used in court in Victoria, but only where it is compelling and vital evidence, and where the greater benefit to society is found in conviction of this specific offender for this specific offence rather than in upholding the ethical standards found in evidential law.

Also, to make a report to Centrelink one usually does so through the fraud line that covers Centrelink, Child Support and Medicare fraud. Thought it is unlikely that they will charge an individual for making a false report, they may have the power to do so where is it apparent that the report was made vexatiously or to obtain property via deception.

In addition, Centrelink might commence an investigation. Should you have all receipts for your rental payments you should be fine. In order for him to show that he paid rent and lived there, he would need to show evidence or direct payments made to your landlord (receipts) or to you (receipts and statements). He could he withdrew the same amount each month on the same day of the month. He might then subpoena your bank records to show that the balance of the rent due was withdrawn from your account rather than the entire amount.

If you have nothing to hide then let them report what ever they wish. You can comfort yourself with the thought thtat they are wasting their time. You are not obliged to return gifts under any circumstances, and the phone was provided as a replacement to pay for damages incurred.

If the ex was violent or abusive, and this includes verbal, financial and physical abuse, and you feel that his actions are threatening, you may apply for an intervention order through the Federal Magistrates Court in Melbourne and its equivalent in other jurisdictions. This can act to prevent both him and any person acting on his behalf, from making threats or demands, and from harassing you.

As I am a student of Law, I recommend you seek advice from a lawyer (legal aid or community legal centre). A lawyer may contact the regulating authority that the Ex's family must register with to obtain a licence to practise. Their licence may be revoked.

Reactions: John R