VIC Evict ex from home 1 year after divorce

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Couchsurfing

21 January 2018
Hmmm, no. You need legal advice and ask about filing property orders NOW. I'd not be waiting around in this situation hoping she won't go me for property later. The longer you leave it, the worse off you are likely to be.

And she can mess with your credit if you keep bills in your name. How do you know they are being paid?

I'm paying all the bills so my credit is safe.

I really hesitate to take this to the court unless last resort, as the court outcome can be quite unpredictable and I am in wrong gender.

You should hear how happy my lawyer was when I asked about the cost, he giggled and said it will be 15,000+ if the matter takes months or eventually into litigation. He messed up by failed to securing a mediation appointment and didn't let me know 2 weeks later. I don't trust lawyers, but if there is any good ones in Melbourne (morally and ethically), please recommend

Couchsurfing

21 January 2018
mate I just think it appalling that you have to let her live rent free for 2 yrs. I also think she can potentially seek an extension of the avo... What then...

Same, get a for sale sign put out the front and test to see if she is gonna help you sell it. BET SHE WONT.

I also think it legally right that she will get nothing from you.. So letting her live rent free for a year or two is seriously problematic.

My thought was getting a locksmith to change the locks NOT you going near the place...

But the building manager thing is interesting... Why not do that now? See my thinking is you're doing your best to do the right thing, follow the rules... and getting no-where. I'd hate for you to be on here in another year asking us how to get money out of her to pay for the damage done to the property once you re-gain entry... Nasty vindictive ex smashing walls.... Not the first time...

So she walks out one day... When she tries to get back in she cant... But her stuff is inside... Oh wow, all of a sudden I reckon she is gonna have her solicitor desperate to talk to you...

I am not sure if it's legally right / safe to lock her out when she still has claim re the property.

She had some money in the mortgage account before our separation, so she will have some claim, but not much, which I already worked out the figure. So the 2 year won't be free, as I won't offer her 50% extra as mentioned earlier, but the base offer.

If she extends the IVO, she can't ban me from my home, can she? when she no longer has a claim for the house after 1 year post divorce.

sammy01

27 September 2015
5 options...
1. Get a legal document that forces her to leave. That can only be done via agreement or through the courts. As you have mentioned solicitor is already rapturous with joy at your predicament.... He is already planning the holiday you're gonna buy him... OR go find another solicitor because frankly the one you're using seems crap. But it will cost similar

2. self represent - make a court application. Do the paperwork yourself. Not a bad option BUT I don't advise it lightly and it will likely take a year or more.

3. Stop paying the bills / mortgage. There are two ways of going at this, advise the bank of the situation OR just stop paying and save the money... This ain't a bad option.. See she thinks she is entitled to some of the asset (maybe she is maybe she isn't)... When she realises you're prepared to let the bank take it she will lose that potential entitlement - She might well trash the thing on her way out... and good luck getting her to pay for the damage... By the way what is the equity in the place... The more the equity the worst this option is...

4. now before I do 4 I want to challenge you on the 'legally right / safe argument mentioned in your last post... Have you tried to be reasonable? YES.. has it worked? NO.... Legally right... don't know... safe? as far as risk of breach of avo... Yup I'd risk that one...

Mate I live in the country. I don't even know where the keys to my house are.. So to help you understand where my perspective comes from. My ex took an avo against me. 3 kids... Mortgage.. etc etc BIG MORTGAGE. I could not afford rent, mortgage child support, legal fees. She had no interest in negotiating over anything. Why should she? She was living rent free.... Had legal aid. Child support. Govt assistance.She could choose when I saw my kids and if I argued I was breaching the avo and risked jail... Now my ex had her name on the title, so my options were limited. BUT once she started to get letters from the bank telling her that they were gonna take the house because I had stopped mortgage payment, all of a sudden she was very keen to negotiate... So the lesson here is you need to do something LEGAL that changes the dynamic of the situation. I don't know if stopping the payments is your best option given your name is the only one on the title.. BUT you have to change the dynamic somehow. So lets continue with option 4... IF you can sort it so one day she leaves and she can't get back in I would totally do that.... And your situation is awesome... See even IF I had keys to my house and I changed the locks to keep the ex out, IF she broke in she would not actually be doing anything wrong because it is technically HER property..... But in your case IF there is a central security system for all residence and you can legally get your code changed.... that takes the break in element out of the equation. Get to that point and all of a sudden she is going to be very keen to negotiate. I LIKE THIS OPTION.

5. Wait until the avo ends... move back in. Even after divorce without asset division there is NO clear documentation that says she has to leave... true?? and if you move back in and she calls the cops, the first thing they will do is check the records and see that there is a 'history' of DV. They will take you out of that unit in no time... and you will have another avo... fun fun.

oPTION 4 IS THE WINNER. DISCUSS

Couchsurfing

21 January 2018
5 options...

I am extremely thankful for your advices, which it helps my thinking, though I may not immediately jump to any particular option you recommended, as there are some other considerations depending on each individual's circumstances.

I will be back for some updates once the ball gets rolling.

sammy01

27 September 2015
No worries. One option i didn't add was just taking my advice blindly... that would be dumb... but your thinking needs to be challenged and you need to do what sit right with you... But i seriously think you need to dump your solicitor.

Couchsurfing

21 January 2018
hey I just found this thread... worth a read
QLD - When Should I Engage a Barrister in Family Court?
So self representing wasn't working for this guy.... So he was lucky enough to gt a barrister on the cheap at $4000 a day... MADNESS.

OPTION 4... DISCUSS.

Yeah, I read that one. I still hesitate unless there is absolutely no other options.
She got back to me today, saying her lawyer has ignored her the past week despite her effort of reaching out to her. Maybe there will be some news this week? I doubt, but maybe there will be other options after this week?

sammy01

27 September 2015
So apart from the avo... how is your relationship with her? Look hopefully the laywers can sort it but if they can't I'd advise seeking any alternative to court.

Couchsurfing

21 January 2018
So apart from the avo... how is your relationship with her? Look hopefully the laywers can sort it but if they can't I'd advise seeking any alternative to court.

Not as bad as what people would think for usual domestic violence cases. I don't think she is fearful of me, but rather using IVO as a tool to make sure that she can break up with me without looking back.

Long story with many twists. She told me that she has spoken to her lawyer and will let her lawyer do the talking. Anyway, whole matter may end with lawyers, but given that her lawyer usually take 2 weeks to make one move, this may last long long time.

I read an article yesterday, thought it's good to share: Category: | Herald Sun

Not trying to portray that I am a victim, I think we both are, but this country really has turned this complicated matter into gender war

sammy01

27 September 2015
You're doing real well. Good to hear she has lost her legal aid funding. That is a huge game changer. It shows that Legal Aid think she is a basket case...

Let us know how you go...

Reactions: Couchsurfing