NSW Employment Law - How to Obtain Confidential Exit Interview Feedback?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

romonda

15 August 2015
Although I understand that feedback from exit interviews are confidential, where does the law stand on the process? As a line manager I am not allowed to know the details, however negative feedback can be used against me by HR.

What can I do legally under employment law to obtain this information without breaking people's confidentiality rights?

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Its my understanding that exit interview information is confidential and exit interviews are usually not conducted by line managers/direct supervisors, but by someone neutral, exactly because the line manager/supervisor is too close to the situation.

I'm not aware of a legal right you would have to access that confidential information, so the confidentiality of that information trumps your desire to see it.

Have you asked HR if they have any feedback or suggestions for improvement for you? Then they may be able to frame their response to you in a way that doesn't attach feedback to anybody in particular.

Remember that HR conducts a lot of exit interviews and can distinguish between unfounded comments and those that are backed up by real evidence.