ACT Employment Law - Holding HR Manager Accountable for Acting Unprofessionally?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RykYal

24 July 2017
Hello,

I am currently under investigation at work. The short context is that a brand new employee (X) has made a number of claims that I disparaged management. I believe I have strong evidence to prove otherwise. However, there have been a number of actions from the HR Dept that make me question the fairness of the process.

One of my team members (A) was asked into the interview with the HR Manager and the Branch manager. During this interview, my staffer claims the HR asked the Branch to leave the room, and that the HR alone told her to just 'turn me in' and proceeded to claim I run a 'cult of personality' to 'tear down the company. She then threatened the staff member that if she disclosed that conversation she would simply "lie" about it.

Two days later, they interviewed another staffer (B) of mine who disagreed with the claims. The individual (X) who claimed against me then made an 'assault' complaint against that staff member. The first Staffer (A) was present for the entire 'situation' and informed HR that the claims were totally untrue, and the individual had never done the actions claimed by (X). B was then fired under a three strike clause from some issues from 2010.

My Staffer (C) was asked in regarding X's claims against me. In that meeting was the Branch Manager, HR, and the Recruiter. Branch and Recruiter left the room, and HR again began going on about me running a "cult" to tear down management because I was "angry" I didn't get a promotion. HR had only been hired by the company the week the allegations against me were made.

I have been working with the Union, but my rep is not convinced I will be treated fairly but is very cool about if the above information would help me at all.

My question simply is: Is there anything I can do to make sure that this HR manager is held responsible for acting unprofessionally and for putting herself at risk by being alone with staff, threatening to lie, and disparaging my character during an investigation against me under employment law?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
My question simply is: Is there anything I can do to make sure that this HR manager is held responsible for acting unprofessionally and for putting herself at risk by being alone with staff, threatening to lie, and disparaging my character during an investigation against me?

At the moment it is going to be your word against HR. I'd be taking a witness with me to all future meetings and I'd be telling the HR person you are now recording all meetings with them to 'protect your lawful interests'. They can either agree or not hold the meeting or take their own recordings.

RafealN

26 July 2017
Dhaka, Bangladesh
I think the most professional and clever way is to consult him well. Give him more opportunity to handle the situation. I hope your HR Manager will understand and will take the responsibility.