QLD Driving while Suspended - QLD and TAS Driver's Licences

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joel robert

2 September 2014
I left Queensland in December and forgot I still had a debt of about $500 with the State Penalties Enforcement Registry (SPER). I gained a Tasmanian drivers licence and have just returned briefly for 3 weeks leaving today and get pulled over and got charged with driving while suspended. I don't understand how when I don't have a Queensland drivers licence, how can it be suspended?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Joel,

In Queensland, you cannot technically drive with an interstate licence if you already have a Queensland licence. While in Queensland, you are considered to be using your Queensland licence. Further, you cannot drive in Queensland, even if you have an interstate licence, if your Queensland licence has been suspended by a relevant authority or disqualified by court. This is why you have been issued with an offence. You can read this fact sheet for more information: Queensland Government Driving with Interstate Licence.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Interesting. Can a person with a suspended licence cancel the licence of their own volition?

That would allow the person to apply an 'interstate' license, and then be legally able to drive in the original state.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
You made this question even more interesting @Rod ...but unfortunately, I don't know the answer!

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
That is interesting Rod, I'm not sure either. However, I suspect that even if you cancel a suspended licence, your suspension period does not cease, meaning that you would not be able to reapply immediately after cancelling in order to circumvent the suspension period. If this is the case, I suspect driving with an interstate licence would again, not be permitted since it would be driving while with a suspension in place in Queensland.