NSW No Binding Financial Agreement - Can Ex Claim Against Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ellejay

9 October 2016
Almost a decade ago, my son's father and I split up. We had bought a house and were together 3 or so years.

We agreed on a sum to pay him out of the property and I remortgaged. Our conveyancer drew up a transfer agreement which we both signed and I paid him out the agreed sum. I continued to service the mortgage as a sole parent and finally paid it off and recently sold it and re-purchased.

My question is, as we didn't get family court orders or a Binding Financial Agreement. Can he now come back and make a further claim? If so, how can I protect myself? He has nothing to do with our son (his choice), hasn't paid and child support for years and lives overseas.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Divorce him.

ellejay

9 October 2016
We never married...

The reason I asked is that I heard of someone making a claim because the once-joint property had appreciated so significantly that the person felt they had been underpaid originally. Whether it's the real reason or not, the court actually awarded compensation

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Do you have the name of the case?

Other than hearing about the case, is there some event that has triggered your concern?

The general position is that for de facto relationships no claims can be made more than 2 years after the split unless one party seeks leave from the court. The court will only grant leave in limited circumstances.

The fact that the split was more than 10 years ago helps you.

Reactions: ellejay

ellejay

9 October 2016
I don't know the specifics - but the mutual contact recommended that I get a BFA to cover myself. The property in question appreciated massively over the past 10 years.

Good to hear the 2 year limit.

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

AllForHer

23 July 2014
He can't make a claim for a property settlement without leave of the Court since two years has passed since separation, and even so, there's a paper trail to show settlement was done and dusted years ago.

He also has no legal interest in the property you've since acquired.

There are some cases where old property settlements can be reopened in extenuating circumstances like where assets weren't disclosed, but rarely in this country and usually only where the asset pool is substantial (I.e. More than just a single house).

I think you're safe.