Do I have to force my 10, 12 and 14 year old to spend time with their alcoholic Dad and his new partner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JJ2022

11 January 2022
My 12 and 14 year old do not want to spend time with their Dad. He wants me to drop them off and make them go to his apartment with his new partner. They refuse. He has passed out in front of them, is addicted to alcohol, his partner is a drinker, they don't like her, and they refuse to get in the car for me to drive them. Furthermore, I don't feel like I am doing the right thing forcing them to go. I am paying for everything including private school as he refuses to pay for anything (using extended family resources) like he has done in the past. If he goes to family court to get orders, will I look like the bad guy?

In addition, the kids are working hard on their grades. They are active in sports and get really upset when these conflicts happen with their Dad. It effects their well being. They are all seeing a child psychologist at the school so there concerns are being dealt with on a professional level.

Last edited: