VIC Divorce - Married in India but I am in Australia

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 September 2014
I have filed the sponsorship spouse visa for my Partner . I was married in INDIA in Feb 2014. I did not stay with my husband because I had to come back to Australia in 3 days after that. Now we have been in touch for last 8 months. We have no understanding. It was an arrange marriage arranged by my parents. He has not received his Visa yet.

I have decided to withdraw his application and Divorce him. I am in Australia. What options do I have to Divorce him? What is the time duration for all the process?

I have been through a lot of mental pressure due to our relationship. Will this all impact my future Sponsorship of any other future Partner?

Please advise me with the appropriate solutions.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria

samar

21 September 2014
I have filed the sponsorship spouse visa for my Partner . I was married in INDIA in Feb 2014. I did not stay with my husband because I had to come back to australia in 3 days after that. Now we have been in touch for last 8 months. We have no understanding. It was an arrange marriage arranged by my parents. He has not received his Visa yet.
I have decided to withdraw his application and Divorce him. I am in Australia. What options I have to Divorce him? What is the time duration for all the process?
I have been through a lot of mental pressure due to our relationship.
Will this all impact my future Sponsorship of any other future Partner?
Please advise me with the appropriate solutions.
i have same situation i got married and she was in india but her parents had attention only towards my money and to get permanent residency of australia . but now i am in asutralia and she is in india and our marriage is over 1.5 year and she filed a dowry case against me and my family ..any suggestion what can i do now

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Samar,

Is the dowry action in India? In that case, you will need to have a look at Indian law.

If your assets are primarily in Australia, Australian law may not recognise the judgment, so have a look into enforcement and recognition of Indian judgments in Australia. I am, unfortunately, not too familiar with conflict of laws between India and Australia. Hopefully another person on here may be able to assist you further.

You could enquire with the Family Law Courts.