NSW Marriage in India - Divorce in Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Swaroop

16 February 2016
I am an India-born Australian citizen. I got married in 2014 April and I flew back in May 2014 to get her spouse visa processed. In the meantime, we had a lot of differences and to resolve it, I went in Dec 2014 but still the differences were unresolved. I made up my mind to get separated as they started character assassination against me.

Then in Aug 2015, my spouse had filed Reinstation of Conjugal rights and through my lawyer in India, we organised for mediation and now they are demanding lumpsum amount of alimony which is not reasonable.

I have lived with her just 17 days and it's been more than a year since we were in contact. So my question is, can I file a divorce here in Australia and will it be valid in India? Will the judgement of Australian court be denied in India?

S

Sophea

Divorce decrees from one country are usually recognised by other countries, however this is something you would need to check with a lawyer or official in India.

Janak Patel

18 March 2019
Hello
I am Indian citizen I live in Melbourne last 5 years on student visa last year I want to India for marriage I married to her (Indian girl) I spend 10 days with her and I invited to Australia for future life but she didn’t get visa yet during that we toke on phone and social media due same miss understanding and same issues with her and both family we are separated with both family agree but now her family say that if you came to India then we will sing the papers otherwise they will going to court I need advice Wht can I do

I