LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Discrimination by Employer Because I Have Kids?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Vickig74, 2 November 2014.

1. Vickig74

Vickig74 Member

I have worked for 4 years for a company doing same hours and was told recently my hours were being cut due to availability meaning as I have kids I can't work when they want me to. Other employees in the same situation as me who have kids get to work around their children. Only I have had hours cut and I'm the longest standing employee and this is how they are treating me. I believe its discrimination.

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi @Vickig74,

Have you tried speaking with your employer and trying to negotiate a schedule that works around your children? Have the other employees that have kids been able to do this?

Have a chat with the Fair Work Ombudsman about the merits of your claim and whether or not you are in fact being discriminated against.

Tim W likes this.
  3. Vickig74

Vickig74 Member

Yes I have spoken with manager and the area manager still to no avail. Unless I can do nights or early mornings( which I do on weekends anyway) they said that's it that's all I get. And yes the other employees have been able to negotiate as they have partners at home

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi Vickig74,

Much of it would depend on your particular employment contract (are you employed on a casual, full-time or part-time basis?) Depending on your employment contract, it may or may not constitute discrimination.

How did you go with the Fair Work Ombudsman?