Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

QLD Discrimination by Employer Because I Have Kids?

Discussion in 'Employment Law Forum' started by Vickig74, 2 November 2014.

1. Vickig74

Vickig74 Member

I have worked for 4 years for a company doing same hours and was told recently my hours were being cut due to availability meaning as I have kids I can't work when they want me to. Other employees in the same situation as me who have kids get to work around their children. Only I have had hours cut and I'm the longest standing employee and this is how they are treating me. I believe its discrimination.

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi @Vickig74,

Have you tried speaking with your employer and trying to negotiate a schedule that works around your children? Have the other employees that have kids been able to do this?

Have a chat with the Fair Work Ombudsman about the merits of your claim and whether or not you are in fact being discriminated against.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  3. Vickig74

Vickig74 Member

Yes I have spoken with manager and the area manager still to no avail. Unless I can do nights or early mornings( which I do on weekends anyway) they said that's it that's all I get. And yes the other employees have been able to negotiate as they have partners at home

4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...