WA De facto and propert settlement

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Keklovic, 11 April 2019.

  1. Keklovic

    Keklovic Member

    11 April 2019
    Likes Received:
    hi everyone,

    We have registered our relationship in QLD which was 12 months ago.

    My partner bought a property in WA 3 months ago and we live in WA.

    My question is we are separated now and am I entitled to get any of his property as the property bought after we registered our relationship.
  2. Atticus

    Atticus Well-Known Member

    6 February 2019
    Likes Received:
    First of all I believe in relation to applying for property settlement there are geographical requirements for de facto and registered relationships in WA... Basically, both of you would have needed to have resided in WA for at least one third of the duration of your de facto relationship, or the applicant can demonstrate that they have made substantial contributions...

    That aside, 12 mths is a very short relationship. If it was your partner who contributed most or all of the funds to purchase real estate, the general rule for short relationships is that they receive that contribution back.. You may be entitled to 50% of any capital gain during the 3 mths since it was acquired... Possibly not even worth the filing fee

Share This Page