NSW Daycare Contract question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ange16

27 October 2020
Hi there

We need to terminate a daycare contract as we are moving away. We have given them 6 weeks notice but they responded that as per the T&Cs we are requeried to provide them with 12 weeks notice after October 1st.
This is a ridiculous long time and peoples situations can change so quickly who has the foresight to know what will be happening in 12 weeks time.
I want to understand how we can get around this or reduce the notice period. I completely understand the importance of the notice period and am not shying away from my responsibilies but as i mentioned we have given them 6 weeks notice and one would expect that this is plenty of time.

Thanks in advance
Angela

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
6 weeks' notice is not a long time in their industry.

You can suggest that should they find a replacement child they release you from your obligation.

How you approach this depends on who has the money for the remaining 6 weeks. If you hold it, you have some leverage. If you have paid in advance they have the advantage and you need to rely on their good graces.

Ange16

27 October 2020
6 weeks' notice is not a long time in their industry.

You can suggest that should they find a replacement child they release you from your obligation.

How you approach this depends on who has the money for the remaining 6 weeks. If you hold it, you have some leverage. If you have paid in advance they have the advantage and you need to rely on their good graces.
Thanks for the advice Rod