QLD Criminal Allegation from Neighbour - Any Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Matthew Pike

27 January 2017
I am a police officer and have been subject of numerous complaints by my neighbour for the past 4 years regarding having threatened him. All of these complaints have been investigated and found to have no basis. He has also made complaints to Laurence Springborgs office claiming that I have threatened him.

Last week, he has fallen over in his back yard and received a cut above his eye and a black eye. He has claimed to have been attacked by a man with a machete and that I had hired someone to carry out the attack?

This allegation has again been reported and I am subject to another ethic standards investigation. Is there any civil litigation action that I am able to take?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Possibly. Defamation may be in play for the latest incident, see a lawyer about how to go starting a case.

Can't really see any other civil wrong. Unfortunately serial complainers are often not breaking laws.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Keep in mind that just because the QPS found these matters unsubstantiated it doesn't mean the courts would.

If the complaints were so clearly false, why haven't the mechanisms to address false accusations been used?

One of the problems with police investigating police is the lack of independence, right?

You could consider getting a peace and good behaviour order.

Regards,

Jermy

30 March 2015
I am a police officer and have been subject of numerous complaints by my neighbour for the past 4 years regarding having threatened him. All of these complaints have been investigated and found to have no basis. He has also made complaints to Laurence Springborgs office claiming that I have threatened him.

Last week, he has fallen over in his back yard and received a cut above his eye and a black eye. He has claimed to have been attacked by a man with a machete and that I had hired someone to carry out the attack?

This allegation has again been reported and I am subject to another ethic standards investigation. Is there any civil litigation action that I am able to take?

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are facing this, it is hard to prove. The only thing that comes to my mind is your history. I mean this to support your character. The other option is to install security cameras around your property facing front and back, not directly to your neighbor but make sure it shows part of his property (wink wink).

Do not mention to anyone that you have installed them and do not make them visible and do keep the recordings for a year or so, do not over record. I think this is a good investment. Then when a complaint comes in, you will have video recording supporting your story (in addition to your character history).

Good luck,

Happy to help the boys in blue.

Reactions: Wobby77