NSW Covid forced phone mediation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Taco Cat

30 April 2018
I will possibly have to engage in phone mediation as opposed to the much more appropriate in-person mediation because the Federal Court Registry takes its covid safe advise from cave dwelling shamen and not NSW Health like the rest of the state.

Can anyone persuade me of the benefits of phone mediation in a complex case with multiple respondents, or offer tips on how to make it successful? I am not optimistic, solely because it’s on the phone and not in person.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Hard to know and depends on the type of mediation. I have done phone, video conferencing and in-person mediation.

I can't say any one is better or worse than the others and it would very much depend on individual circumstances. The skill of the mediator is much more important than the technology used.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
...offer tips on how to make it successful?
Well, you could start by abandoning the attitude
that leads you to use terms like
"...cave dwelling shamen..."

Secondly, if, as many do, you approach mediation as a win/ lose activity,
then you will be inherently at a disadvantage - of your own making.

Taco Cat

30 April 2018
Can anyone provide a specific benefit of phone mediation in a complex case over in-person mediation?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Why ask this question, most times you are not offered a choice, and your first post indicates it will happen by phone?

You are better off focusing your energy on preparing for mediation rather than arguing over how the mediation will take place.