NSW Court Adjourned the hearing even tho defendant plea guilt. Why?uy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Johnny2000

21 June 2019
long story short.

Police filed a AVO against the ex with an interim AVO in place until court hearing.
First hearing date - Adjourned
Was told by the prosecuting officer that the ex was going to plead guilty on the next hearing date.
On second hearing date - the case was adjourned even tho i was told that the ex was going to plead guilty.

why would the court adjourn the case for the 2nd time, even tho the ex was pleading guilty?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey Johnny,

There are a billion reasons why it could have been adjourned.

Whilst you have been told the ex is going to plead guilty they could have changed their mind.

Medical reasons your ex couldn't attend therefore an adjournment was sought.

A simple I need more time to seek legal advice or I have applied for legal aid and am currently waiting for that to be processed would likely be enough for them to be granted a short adjournment.

You might be able to call the prosecution team and ask them why the adjournment was sought.

Johnny2000

21 June 2019
Thanks Jake,

I was advised that the first time the court adjourned the hearing was for the ex to obtain legal advice.Then the court adjourned the hearing again at the 2nd hearing date.

I will call the police prosecutor for more information.