QLD Probation Period for Drugs - Now Charged for Dispose of Tainted Property

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jonny Law

15 January 2016
I am on probation with conditions for drugs. It was a 2-year probation period that ends in June and in December, I was placed on the biometric probation reporting kiosk, one report in March then come in to sign off in June.

In December, I also sold a phone for my little brother's friend at EB games. He came in with me and answered some of their questions, usually through me but not the whole time. He had just recently gone in trying to sell it but had no ID. Being young, I knew he wouldn't have an ID but still questioned him to make sure it wasn't stolen, but turns out it was. So I was charged with the dispose of tainted property and have court for it on the 25th.

This is my first offence that's non-drug related. I was not under arrest when I was charged. I am going to get my QP9 when I go to court to apply for legal aid and most likely have it adjourned because in the interview with police when I told them of the incident, they said it's part of their policy (EB Games) to let me know I can't sell it if it's not mine and they never informed me, even though it was clear for them to see that it wasn't my phone.

So my questions under Criminal Law are, one, should I call my probation officer today and tell her I have court Monday? And two, should I have it adjourned so I can seek legal aid and hopefully be found not guilty due to the negligence of the person who handled the transaction or just plead guilty on the first court date?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
You should definitely adjourn your court hearing on the basis of seeking legal advice. You should then contact a local criminal lawyer to defend the charge above.

See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You to be connected to a local criminal lawyer.