NSW Construction - Swimming Pool Fence Compliance?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dasher

12 September 2018
Hi,

Yesterday, I applied for a swimming pool compliance certificate (NSW). The pool was constructed in 2003, with a construction certificate issued by the local council at that time.

The local council informed me that it did not comply as the ground clearance to the bottom of the fence was greater than 100mm. Under Australian Standards it must be less than that.

A couple of questions:

1. I have tried to locate what the Australian Standard for ground clearance at the time of construction was. I haven't been able to find anything concrete but I am guessing it was 100mm back then

2. Under the conditions of the DA at that time council inspected the construction of the pool and fencing. If at the time the AS was 100mm and council inspected during construction would they be negligent in that they allowed the construction to take place which failed to meet the AS, and also issued a construction certificate upon completion ?

Do I have any recourse on council or should I just wear the expense to have the fence adjusted to meet the AS and be able to obtain the required Compliance Certificate, which I require for the Contract of Sale ?

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated

Regards,

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Just wear it. You'll likely find that somewhere there is a clear requirement that the owner must keep the fencing compliant with current requirements. Whether it was or was not is irrelevant - you now know it is not compliant and it will have to be fixed.

Reactions: Dasher

Dasher

12 September 2018
Just wear it. You'll likely find that somewhere there is a clear requirement that the owner must keep the fencing compliant with current requirements. Whether it was or was not is irrelevant - you now know it is not compliant and it will have to be fixed.
Thank you so much for taking your time out to reply
Really appreciate it

fokol53176

13 May 2023
In New South Wales, there are strict regulations in place regarding swimming pool fence compliance. These regulations are designed to ensure the safety of children and other vulnerable individuals around swimming pools.

If you are building or renovating a swimming pool in NSW, you must ensure that your pool fence complies with the relevant safety standards. The fence must be at least 1.2 meters high and have a self-closing, self-latching gate that opens away from the pool area. The fence should also be free from any climbable objects within a certain distance of the fence.

It is important to note that there may be additional requirements depending on the location of your pool, such as proximity to a boundary fence or other structures.

To ensure that your swimming pool fence is compliant with NSW regulations, it is recommended that you consult with a licensed pool fence installer or building certifier. They can provide you with the necessary information, You can check this article and guidance to ensure that your fence meets all relevant standards and regulations.