NSW Consent for overseas travel

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mygirl07

7 June 2018
My partner has had a similar response from his child's mother. He could go to court but he's already spent enough time and money there with more to come and Sammy's right about Australia, the wonderful country we already live in. It has many beautiful places to visit. My partner used to take his family overseas every year. I don't think the kids even really appreciate the fact that they've led a very privileged life in that respect. So we are going to the other side of Australia instead and the mother has no say or control and that suits him just fine.
Good advice. I think I need to think about this all from a different perspective.

Mygirl07

7 June 2018
Okay, stop.

Do you know what people love most about the phrase ‘parental alienation’? It means they get to pass the buck. They get to blame the other parent or the Court or the lawyers or the police for 100% of the problems, and they get to pretend they’re just a victim so they can escape without consequence and with pride in tact.

But the reason the Court doesn’t like the phrase ‘parental alienation’ in Australia is because it’s speculative, and it tells the Court that one parent doesn’t want to take any responsibility for the problems between them. You can’t expect equal care when you don’t want to take equal responsibility.

Now, my husband is just one of many fathers on this forum who has gained equal care or more by going to Court, and I believe you’ll find that not one of the people here who attained such an outcome ever once referred to ‘parental alienation’ in their Court documents. What we did instead was learn the system and learn how to play the game better. We learned how to make concessions for past mistakes, and started focusing on solutions.

If Mum refuses your very polite suggestion to negotiate a parenting plan that allows either party to travel once conditions of notice and itinerary are met, then advise her that you’re sorry that you can’t agree and if she changes her mind, you’re happy to discuss, but in the meantime, if she needs someone to look after the child while she’s away, you are able to do so. Don't argue about it, don't enter the back-and-forth, don't respond when she's pushing your buttons. If your child passes on her mum's complaints to you, you say 'That's an adult issue that your mum and I are working out, it's not something you need to stress over'.

Remember: you don't have to enter every argument that you're invited into.

Can you elaborate on this...”What we did instead was learn the system and learn how to play the game better. We learned how to make concessions for past mistakes, and started focusing on solutions.”?