QLD Consent Orders - Other Parent Won't Sign Document for Child's Passport

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mumof2

26 August 2015
H, I have signed consent orders with my ex. In the consent orders, it clearly states that both parents are to sign all documents necessary for the child to obtain a passport and the child is permitted to travel overseas after giving 28 days notice and all travel itinerary and contact details whilst overseas.

So, I have now asked the other parent to sign this application and have been given various responses from, "no, I will never sign it," to "maybe," to "I have placed a child alert on him," to "It doesn't say when i have to sign it."

Obviously it just gets frustrating. I have booked tickets and accommodation already to travel which won't be until next year, but I don't want to be throwing thousands of dollars away.

Anyway, looking for some help on what my next step should be. Is it a contravention order that I need? Do I have to go to mediation again? Obviously there are time restrictions because of the travel dates so, I feel the other parent is just trying to prolong it for as long as possible

Please help.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You really only have two options. One, get his signature. Two, make a court application. You need to get moving because the court thing will take time.

He needs to be witnessed signing the form. So If you see him, let him know you'll bring a witness along to sign the form next time. If he says no, then don't bother and just apply to court.

Mumof2

26 August 2015
Thank you, and yes because there is urgency regarding this matter. I have contacted legal aid and have an appointment to now proceed with having the orders enforced. I have about a 6-month timeframe to deal with the matter. Should it proceed to court, do you think this will be a sufficient amount of time?