SA Complicated question regarding neighbours

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Disturbed

26 December 2021
The house next door to mine is owned by a community group who leases the property to men who have just been released from prison.
My former housemate and close friend was living with me on home detention for a year when he was released on parole so my issue is not in regards to their criminal history.
The problem with 3 out of the recent 5 tenants has been their behaviour. There is constant noise, domestic violence, drug dealing and a complete lack of consideration for the surrounding neighbours. I’ve lost count of how many time police have had to attend next door for various issues.

The houses on our street are very close together and since the carport next door is on the other side of the fence to all of our bedrooms, the sound is amplified a huge amount. I have contacted the group responsible for the property on numerous occasions because the behaviour of their tenant is getting beyond tolerable. I have requested that they consider enclosing the carport to dampen the sound (we have done that with our carport and it works fantastically) and the groups always responds but the requests to put measures in place to reduce how much we are disturbed have been ignored.

The situation is getting to the point that my mental health is being affected. I have given up contacting the property managers because they do nothing. The issues are the same with every single tenant.

Can I do anything about this situation at all or am I going to be forced to tolerate this bulls**t until the group sell the house or I sell mine?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Contact the council to see if they will help.

Otherwise send a letter to the owner/s prepared by a lawyer saying your mental health is being affected by the constant disturbances. Include a list of dates and times the disturbances have occurred, say up to 12 of the most recent events. You are putting the other side on notice by sending the letter.

Keep a diary of all disturbing events.