Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Boundary Fence Issue with Neighbours - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by Felice, 31 July 2014.

1. Felice

Felice Member

My neighbour is building three units townhouse. Recently he took off our boundary fence without letting us know. The day before the fence took off, we saw a quote for the fence but it stated the neighbour house number and no further detail or notification. So I return to next door, as the house hasn't had mailbox yet, so I just place anywhere I can and visible. The next day , our fence has been took off.

What sort of right I have ? What can I do to resolve this? I really wants my fence back as next door is building site I find it not secure and the pedestrian can see through my backyard and my house directly. I couldn't let my 3 years old son play in the backyard, and I hardly can open the window. I call the council but council said they can't do anything except talk to my neighbour . However my husband and I work full time and we didn't know who is the owner. Do we need to pay for the fence as I think probably it can be fix rather than remove the whole fence replace the new one. How do we demand to put the fence back ASAP?

I saw the other side of the neighbour fence has been replaced. Just for the information, 2 years ago we have told the tenant to tell the landlord to fix before have to remove the old fence but the landlord ignore it. Now , the fences condition was bad at the back because few of the pieces come out but I think just need people to put it back but front part was ok. Now they removed the whole thing.
    Please someone help me, what should I do under property law?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...