QLD Coles loss prevention officer - number plates

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helpsos

22 November 2021
Hi there. Today I did a very stupid thing, I took two red bulls and a chrizo from Coles. I was attempted to be apprehended after I got into my car, I refused to get out and in the split second, rather than facing the music, I drove away. I am deeply remorseful and frightened. I'm a professional who has done something incredibly stupid. My question is, if after reviewing CCTV or, if they got my plates, can they follow me up? Like send the police to charge me? My car is registered interstate to my sister, I recently purchased the car from her and am in the process of changing the plates.

Atticus

6 February 2019
My question is, if after reviewing CCTV or, if they got my plates, can they follow me up? Like send the police to charge me?
Of course they can follow it up..... Up to the poice if they choose to follow up a report if they make one, & then up to the cops to decide if they will charge you.

Reactions: Helpsos

James Dylan

6 January 2018
NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but... Your best option to avoid any serious penalty is to turn yourself into Coles, explain your story, pay for the products and query if they ever reported the incident to Police.

If they have already reported it, make a record of having confessed to Coles to make it right, and then go chat to the Police. Your options are 1: Ask for an 'adult caution'. This is rare, but possible, and given you have already spoken with Coles and are now confessing to QPS, it's a possibility for a minor offence. 2. If they charge you, you'll be given a Notice to Appear (NTA) before the Magistrates court in 2 weeks. On that date, seek out the duty lawyer, tell them the story and your efforts thus far to fix it, and plead guilty but ask for no conviction to be recorded (given you're a professional, avoiding anything recorded on your crim history is the main goal here). You'll likely get a fine and that's that.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
NOT LEGAL ADVICE
Indeed.
, but... Your best option to avoid any serious penalty is to turn yourself into Coles, explain your story, pay for the products and query if they ever reported the incident to Police.
Far from it.
Look, if you must walk in to the store, then perhaps you say to them something like
that you have come back to pay for some items that you forgot to pay for earlier.
Don't explain. Don't give reasons. And, do not make admissions at this point, and certainly not without formal legal advice.
If they have already reported it, make a record of having confessed to Coles to make it right, and then go chat to the Police.
Approach the police, yourself?
No. Don't do that.
Your options are 1: Ask for an 'adult caution'. This is rare, but possible, and given you have already spoken with Coles and are now confessing to QPS, it's a possibility for a minor offence. 2. If they charge you, you'll be given a Notice to Appear (NTA) before the Magistrates court in 2 weeks. On that date, seek out the duty lawyer, tell them the story and your efforts thus far to fix it, and plead guilty but ask for no conviction to be recorded (given you're a professional, avoiding anything recorded on your crim history is the main goal here). You'll likely get a fine and that's that.
None of these "options" comes up unless the police decide to prosecute you in the first place.

Reactions: Rod