QLD Stealing at Coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Thoughtfull23

6 July 2020
Hi I got caught stealing money as a till operator at Coles I stole approximately $6,800 over a 2 and a half month period, I am strongly remorseful for my actions and I feel really bad for my actions and I will be paying back the money ASAP I know my decision was stupid and childish I was facing financial hardship at the time I am 19 years old this will be my first offence , the police are investigating the matter at the moment and I live in cairns Queensland but I wanna get out and go to Brisbane Queensland, can I leave while the matter is being investigated???

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Sounds like you have not yet been arrested, let alone charged?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Absent any bail conditions, you're pretty much free to go wherever you want.
But don't. Stay in town.
Keep paying back the money (from a legitimate source!).

Both those things will help support your claim of remorse, and your willingness to "own" what you've done.
They won't be enough on their own to get you off.
But it won't work against you to look like you're doing the responsible thing now.

Thoughtfull23

6 July 2020
I will do what you advise thank you so much, will this also be good on my behalf by returning all my money, apology letter , leaving town etc?? I am very remorseful for my grossly inappropriate actions that I have committed

Thoughtfull23

6 July 2020
Look good on my behalf* and because is my first offence I do not want to go to jail I understand that my actions will not allow me to work in retail for a long while And I shouldn’t have committed theft I was in financial trouble, will I go to jail??? And my record is squeaky clean and I am only 19

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Can't really get too precise about what might happen
without knowing your own personal history and the surrounding facts and circumstances.
Don't write an apology letter just yet. You don't want to go admitting stuff, or putting on paper
anything that might be used against you later.

Take yourself to a Community Legal Centre for some advice.
And see a psychiatrist. Your GP can refer you.

Thoughtfull23

6 July 2020
Thank you so much, it’s my first offence so I only will think I will have to pay fees I suppose and I am going to be paying back the money as soon as possible

Thoughtfull23

6 July 2020
Can't really get too precise about what might happen
without knowing your own personal history and the surrounding facts and circumstances.
Don't write an apology letter just yet. You don't want to go admitting stuff, or putting on paper
anything that might be used against you later.

Take yourself to a Community Legal Centre for some advice.
And see a psychiatrist. Your GP can refer you.
Is paying the money back by bank transfer to the company I stole from better than paying in cash?? So that it’s documented and stuff?? And I hope that it’ll look good on my behalf I am sorry and truly remorseful for my grossly inappropriate actions and I am going to pay the money in full by bank transfer and I hope that I won’t get into too much trouble for my first offence when I do right and return the money by bank transfer in full with full remorseful attributes to my crime that I do fully am blaming myself and I take full responsibility. I just want the best advice for this and I will never ever steal again I assure you I’ve learnt my lesson.