VIC Clothes line in rental

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Leet

29 August 2023
Hi recently rented a 4 bedroom family home.. didn’t realize there was no clothes line. I Asked the agent to request one to be installed .
the owners response was I didn’t need one.. she previously lived here without one so I don’t need one. Beg to differ I do need one. This is a family home on a suburban block. I need to be able to dry my washing. Is there anything that says that she has to supply one for our use? I think it unreasonable to expect a family to run a clothes dryer no stop? When the agent suggested it was a reasonable request for a tenant to have a clothes line she said prove where it says she needs to supply one.
Any thoughts on if she does?
Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The landlord ( residential rental provider :( ) does not need to provider a clothes line.

You can request, the landlord can refuse.

Another option is to obtain permission to install an agreed line at your cost. And if the landlord doesn't renew, reimburse you part or full cost.

Else depending on family size, a few clothes horses close to heaters. Watch out though for mould issues.