NSW Complicated Child Support Circumstances - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

marcellaj

20 November 2018
Firstly, thanks to everyone for replying!

So just an update - we are still trying to get to the bottom of things and we’re waiting for some things to get confirmed and now will make another call to CSA, but we are definitely closer to finding out what’s happened, what our options are etc and we have a better understanding of how it’s all working so - THANKS!

The CSA rep initially said ‘the Judge made the decision to backdate it to this date...’ and basically was completely unhelpful further than that. The lawyer had told us (in writing) that CS only begins from the time parentage is ascertained. They also said what the orders were (in writing) but this just says that he will be assessed to pay CS by the agency (still haven’t seen the actual court order but we’ve asked). Nothing about backpay or 2017 etc so either this info we got is wrong and the orders DO say that, or they don’t - if they don’t then I’m thinking the suggestion that CSA made the decision to start from the initial application is the answer here.

I have no idea if she tried in the past to claim and was denied by CSA, we never received anything before this application, but this is something we will definitely ask about. If that is the case though, then the rep’s info that ‘The Judge ordered it’ was wrong and the lawyer’s advice that CS has to start from confirmation of parentage is wrong. Right?

The CS rep also said he HAD to pay the doubled amount to get the debt paid off asap, and when he explained his financial situation and if there was any other options as it would be impossible to pay that he was shut down and told basically nope, tough luck.

Have since found out that’s not true - there is even a form on Human Services site to complete and submit detailing all finances and offering to pay a different, more affordable, amount based on your financials and living situation (dependent spouse, kids, etc). I get why people have no fun dealing with this lot, particularly the paying parent.

Thanks to The Cheese for your suggestions, especially regarding dealing with CSA - we will try to go through them and escalate til we get somewhere. Husband has completed the authorised rep form for me to talk to them on his behalf because they seem to be reallllly uninterested in talking to him and answering his questions (and he works long hours and struggles to find time to call anyway) - so hopefully I get further with them, fingers crossed.