NSW Chances of a class action by people of the Hunter against the two women who lied to police and sent the Hunter into Lockdown

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

asmit

13 August 2021
Hi,

I am wondering if there is any chance that a class action could be brought against the two women who knowingly breached Covid 19 travel bans and travelled from Sydney to Newcastle. Who, when approached by police lied, not once, but twice and then went onto parties in Newcastle and infected a large number of people forcing the entire Hunter into lockdown.

Can they be forced to compensate those materially and mentally harmed by the forced lockdowns because of their actions or is this not possible? It is highly likely that criminal charges will also be laid but so far looking at previous criminal charges these carry very little pain for people who have willfully disregarded health orders compared to the amount of pain that they have caused to tens of thousands of people.

Thanks.

sammy01

27 September 2015
ok so how do you get 2 young kids to pay out hundreds of thousands NOPE millions of dollars of lost income for thousands and thousands of people?

asmit

13 August 2021
Thanks Sammy, so there is no civil way to recover costs against people whose actions cause loss of income/mental harm? or is it just that a class action would not work but they could be individually sued? or are there barriers against that as well because of criminal proceedings against them?

Purely curious as I have no intention of doing anything like the above - its was one of those shower questions that just pop into the brain.

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
mate practical reality. Spend $20 000 (conservative estimate) to sue for your out of pocket expenses. Let's pretend you own a business and the lockdown cost you $50 000. I join your class action and I'm looking for the same. So is Fred, Mike, and Mary.... But these two kids have a combined wealth of $500 in the bank. So where does the $$ come to pay you for your lost income? Can't get blood from a stone.