NT Centrelink Lost My Original Documents - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 August 2014
About 15 years ago, I applied for a Centrelink payment. Under Centrelink policy at the time I had to provide original documents for my investments which included certificates and title deeds. When I requested them back two weeks later Centrelink stated they had been lost in the system. Ever since then I have been trying to obtain my documents from Centrelink to no satisfaction. As a result, certain investments that I had at the time are now lost due to my documentation being held and lost by Centrelink.

Is there any way I may find justice for this event?

Michael T

9 April 2014
Hi Jason,
Have you made a formal complaint to Centrelink? See the Centrelink "Complaints and feedback - tell us what you think" page that sets out how to make a complaint.
It also sets out the options if a complaint cannot be resolved:
Where we are unable to resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, we will explain why and let you know what other options you have. In some circumstances you may be able to ask for a review of a decision.
Read more about our review and appeals process. Our objective is to resolve your complaint. If this is not possible, there are 4 external and independent avenues available:

Commonwealth Ombudsman
Considers and investigates complaints from people who believe they have been treated unfairly or unreasonably by an Australian Government department or agency. For more information, visit the Commonwealth Ombudsman website or call 1300 362 072.

... ...

Australian Information Commissioner
Provides an avenue to investigate the handling of your personal information or a Freedom of Information decision by an Australian Government department or agency. For more information visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website or call 1300 363 992. If calling from outside Australia call: + 61 2 9284 9749.

Michael T

9 April 2014
Also, by any chance did you make a copy before you gave your original documents to Centrelink?