VIC Centrelink Fraud - How Should I Own Up To It?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dan Mauve

14 October 2014
I have found my conscience after knowingly committing fraud to Centrelink. I haven't yet been caught but want to pay the money back anyway. I have a few questions if anybody knows about this?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Dan,

Centrelink fraud or giving Centrelink misleading or false information is a criminal act and taken quite seriously. I cannot advise you as to what you should do. However, read this fact sheet from the Victorian Legal Aid and perhaps speak with a lawyer from your local community legal centre as to your options. The Fitzroy Legal Centre is particularly good as they have drop-in sessions on most evenings without need for appointment.

Reactions: Tim W
S

Sophea

Hi Dan, cases of centrelink fraud are generally prosecuted under s135.2(1) of the Cth Criminal Code, "obtaining a financial advantage from a Commonwealth entity" which carries maximum penalty of 12 months jail and/or a fine of $6,600. It is a summary offence. Even if you pay back the money that you took, you can still be charged with an offence.

I would seek personalised legal advice before you do anything else as Sarah said.

Reactions: Tim W

Dan Mauve

14 October 2014
Thank you to both of you for your informative advice. I shall head to the Fitzroy Legal Centre one day this week and report back on the next steps I'm thinking of taking.