SA Centrelink Fraud Charges

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Saraj

28 March 2015
I have received notice of $100,000 over payment from Centrelink and my matter has been referred to the CDPP. I was diagnosed with cancer in 2009 and while I have been fighting the disease and trying to raise my young child, informing Centrelink of changes in my circumstances was the last thing on my mind. Now I am so stressed I will go to jail for fraud and my child will end up in state care I just don't know what to do.

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi Saraj, if the Department of Human Services is pressing criminal charges, you need to seek advice from a solicitor as soon as possible. Contact Legal Aid or your local Community Legal Centre as soon as you can.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Saraj,
  • Was the overpayment Centrelink's fault or due to false or misleading information provided by you?
  • When did Centrelink notify you of overpayment?
  • When did you actually find out that you had been overpaid?
  • Did the letter provide any methods for repayment of this amount back to Centrelink?
  • Were there any further letters of demand by Centrelink or other agency after the initial notice of overpayment
Depending on the circumstances, I'm sure if you explain your health situation to the CDPP, be willing to repay the overpayment and ask to enter into some sort of payment arrangement with them, they would be willing to pause proceedings. First step is to call them and explain your situation.

@Ivy 's suggestion is also something you can do now. You should:
I'm sure these services will be able to help you.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Reading the OP's post, it was directly the result of failure to inform changes, not fraudulent information given. in which case, i am sure it would have been resolved to everyone's satisfaction and why Saraj has not returned here.