Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

VIC Centrelink Fraud - How Should I Own Up To It?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Dan Mauve, 14 October 2014.

1. Dan Mauve

Dan Mauve Member

I have found my conscience after knowingly committing fraud to Centrelink. I haven't yet been caught but want to pay the money back anyway. I have a few questions if anybody knows about this?

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi Dan,

Centrelink fraud or giving Centrelink misleading or false information is a criminal act and taken quite seriously. I cannot advise you as to what you should do. However, read this fact sheet from the Victorian Legal Aid and perhaps speak with a lawyer from your local community legal centre as to your options. The Fitzroy Legal Centre is particularly good as they have drop-in sessions on most evenings without need for appointment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, cases of centrelink fraud are generally prosecuted under s135.2(1) of the Cth Criminal Code, "obtaining a financial advantage from a Commonwealth entity" which carries maximum penalty of 12 months jail and/or a fine of $6,600. It is a summary offence. Even if you pay back the money that you took, you can still be charged with an offence.

I would seek personalised legal advice before you do anything else as Sarah said.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  4. Dan Mauve

Dan Mauve Member

Thank you to both of you for your informative advice. I shall head to the Fitzroy Legal Centre one day this week and report back on the next steps I'm thinking of taking.