QLD Car Registration Denied After Buying Car - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod Street

11 December 2015
I have just bought a car in Qld. On a car search, it had been registered as a repairable write-off which had been repaired, inspected and registered and insured. I believed him and bought the car. On attempting to have the car registered in NSW, I have been denied car registration. They also stated the write-off was due to a major car accident. The owner will not give me details of repairs or write-off inspection. The car has valid safety inspection certificates for QLD and NSW.

Any suggestions what I can do?

Thanks

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Rod,

What a frustrating situation!

This blog may provide you with some further information, see Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au.

The first thing I would do is get legal advice, see Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.
You may be to write a letter to the person you bought the car from demanding the information of the car accident; if he refuses then you may be able to ask for a refund.

It is my understanding that you are protected under Australian Consumer Law.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Did you buy it from a dealer or a private person?