Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Car Registration Denied After Buying Car - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Rod Street, 11 December 2015.

1. Rod Street

Rod Street Member

I have just bought a car in Qld. On a car search, it had been registered as a repairable write-off which had been repaired, inspected and registered and insured. I believed him and bought the car. On attempting to have the car registered in NSW, I have been denied car registration. They also stated the write-off was due to a major car accident. The owner will not give me details of repairs or write-off inspection. The car has valid safety inspection certificates for QLD and NSW.

Any suggestions what I can do?

Thanks

2. Therese

Therese Well-Known Member

Hi Rod,

What a frustrating situation!

This blog may provide you with some further information, see Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au.

The first thing I would do is get legal advice, see Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You.
    You may be to write a letter to the person you bought the car from demanding the information of the car accident; if he refuses then you may be able to ask for a refund.

It is my understanding that you are protected under Australian Consumer Law.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Did you buy it from a dealer or a private person?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...