QLD Compensation from Insurance After Car Repairs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Swifty1967

10 April 2017
On the 4th January 2017, I was involved in a car accident. I was deemed not at fault but had to pay excess as other driver failed to stop. It was quite a substantial accident and touching go as to being a write off. Car was repaired and picked up 22nd March. I complained about quality of the repairs, in particular the fact that drivers floor mat was getting extremly hot and had melted a small section under drivers seat.

The car insurance company sent the car for further inspection next day. Car was picked up by me on the 7th April and given an all clear. After driving home, an hour's drive, more of the mat had melted I rang repairer and was told all was well and complainef again to insurance company while driving the following day the interior of the car caught fire and car is now a write off.

Where do I stand for compensation and damages?

Thanks in advance

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I can't see any issue with the claim. It sounds like your reports have tied it to the original incident. Report it as you would to the insurer but make sure they know it has occurred because of the initial incident.

I know a little about cars but can't even fathom what was leading to the heat under the drivers side mat.

Swifty1967

10 April 2017
A mechanic has said the catalytic converter was overheating. Being a rotary engine they run hotter in the exhaust than a normal liston engine

Reactions: Lance