Car refund

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Marc S

16 September 2022
I purchased a 2008 Holden VE Commodore from a used car dealer 1 month ago, its only done 94000km and appeared very tidy. 24hrs after taking it home the check engine light came on and i returned it to the dealer who had his mechanic look at it. Diagnosis was transmission issue which the dealer paid to have fixed, received car back after 3 weeks and within 24hrs same issue. took it back again and dealer had mechanic repair issue, Now 24hrs later the same issue for a 3rd time. Do i have grounds to ask for a refund? Dealer keeps accepting responsibility but its very frustrating to have only had the car for 4 days in over a month

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
You are most fortunate to see a vehicle of that age and dollar value getting any after sales support at all.
That said, are you sure that the dealer (and/or their mechanic) are actually doing anything in terms of repair?
Or, are they just keeping the vehicle for a few days, and letting you think they are trying to fix it?

Marc S

16 September 2022
He has told me it has cost him 2000 for repairs, when we bought the car the dealer said he stands by any vehicle he sells for 3 months. That's a big reason we bought from him. That being said its still frustrating to keep taking it back

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
He has told me it has cost him 2000 for repairs, when we bought the car the dealer said he stands by any vehicle he sells for 3 months. That's a big reason we bought from him. That being said its still frustrating to keep taking it back
Just so I am clear - did you buy it on Form 4 or Form 5?

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
OK. So did your 2008 VE come without a warranty (look at part 3 on the Form)?
I ask because a 2008 car may be excluded because of age, even if not mileage.

Suspicion born of experience suggests to me that he's lying about doing any repairs.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Correct no warranty...however o spoke to the mechanic myself who explained what work he did
Are you somebody who would understand the technical details?
Even if you are not... he hasn't solved the problem.
You see the bit on the Form 5 about the Australian Consumer Law? That's what's next.