QLD Car park collision legal advice

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Johnny utar

1 September 2022
Hello
So I was reversing out of a park slowly looking over my shoulder and it was clear from my view,
As iv started breaking and turned my head to go forward, a horn sounded as
Iv collided with a car in the lane,
So I’m not sure how fast he was going, or what not, but he’s blaming me saying he was stoped, I’m kinda taking his word for it tho , as no witness other than a passer by who said I seen this before and it was like a Mexican stand off, he didn’t hang around tho so
But unsure, who’s at fault?
Anyway he was insured and I’m not,
So a lawer from the insurance company called the other day,
I was busy at the time so didn’t discuss the matter, he said he would send me a letter.
Is it worth the hassle fighting with an insurance company
So any advice would be good
Thanks!

GC.

26 October 2015
But unsure, who’s at fault?
You are at fault. When reversing you must give way to all other vehicles. It is your responsibility to see the other car, you can't avoid blame by saying that you looked but did not see them.
Anyway he was insured and I’m not,
Then you'll have to pay the damages yourself. I sometimes hear people say that they can't afford insurance but it's really the other way around in that only wealthy people can afford to pay a damage bill and the rest of us really need to have insurance.
Is it worth the hassle fighting with an insurance company
With the details you gave above it's pointless trying to deny blame however you will have some scope to negotiate with them, particularly on payment plans if you are on a limited income.