SA Claiming Car Insurance from Truck Driver After Accident?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sanam Gauchan

27 July 2018
Last Thursday, while driving, a truck hit us. We only have the truck registration number and the driver's name and drivers licence number, but no contact details. Our car is totally damaged.

We called police and they arrived at a scene. We were taken to hospital. We thought that police is going to do everything about the claim and all. But now, it's been already a week there are no calls or mail from the truck owner or the car insurance.

When we went to see the police, they say that they can do nothing. We have got a mail from a tow company about the charges. I don't know what to do next and how to claim insurance from the truck owner. Totally helpless

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
It's not the job of the Police to deal with your insurance. Police deal with the criminal side, you deal with the civil side.

Do you have insurance?

If not. Good luck. Get a quote, send a letter of demand to the company.

Sanam Gauchan

27 July 2018
It's not the job of the Police to deal with your insurance. Police deal with the criminal side, you deal with the civil side.

Do you have insurance?

If not. Good luck. Get a quote, send a letter of demand to the company.
Thank you. I was wondering if there is any way to get to their insurance company because they are at the fault. We have got the driver’s name, licence number, truck registration number and police report number.

Bill Murray

6 June 2018
Yeah, you have to get a quote and send a letter of demand to the insurance company. Normally you send it to the driver of the truck and they then forward it to their insurance.

Sanam Gauchan

27 July 2018
Yeah, you have to get a quote and send a letter of demand to the insurance company. Normally you send it to the driver of the truck and they then forward it to their insurance.
The main problem here is that our insurance is third party and we also do not have the contact details by which we can reach the truck driver. Please help!

Zerojay

12 March 2017
Hi Sanam,

Police will have the contact details you are seeking. You will need to fully explain your situation and seek advice from them as to how you may obtain this information which you are entitled to. It may mean making formal application for a copy of the police report if they do not respond in a more helpful manner.

If you are making a claim on the CTP insurer for injury they may also be able to obtain these details for you.

I do not give legal advice. Just an opinion based on working for an insurance company for over 20 years.

Sanam Gauchan

27 July 2018
Hi Sanam,

Police will have the contact details you are seeking. You will need to fully explain your situation and seek advice from them as to how you may obtain this information which you are entitled to. It may mean making formal application for a copy of the police report if they do not respond in a more helpful manner.

If you are making a claim on the CTP insurer for injury they may also be able to obtain these details for you.

I do not give legal advice. Just an opinion based on working for an insurance company for over 20 years.
Thank you Zerojay for your helpful information. But I have been explaining Police about my condition but they are just ignoring.They says us to claim our insurance company despite of my explanation to them that we only have third party insurance. And we did not have any injury. We went to hospital just to make sure if we are not injured internally because we felt pain by a seat belt. I am trying very hard to get to them but every ways seems impossible. Can we get any help from RAA or SA Service?
Secondly, our car was towed without asking us where to take it. Its been already 10 days but I have no idea what to do with that. Whether to pay fee of tow by own or not? Fee is increasing day by day!

Zerojay

12 March 2017
You should pay the tow account and if practical move the vehicle so you stop incurring storage fees. You can request reimbursement from the truck driver’s insurer in due course.
In SA you can make a Freedom Of Information request for access to SA Police records - form PD360. You may also consider approach to your local member of state parliament for assistance as the delay is causing you hardship and stress.

Sanam Gauchan

27 July 2018
Thank you Zerojay for your helpful information. But I have been explaining Police about my condition but they are just ignoring.They says us to claim our insurance company despite of my explanation to them that we only have third party insurance. And we did not have any injury. We went to hospital just to make sure if we are not injured internally because we felt pain by a seat belt. I am trying very hard to get to them but every ways seems impossible. Can we get any help from RAA or SA Service?
Secondly, our car was towed without asking us where to take it. Its been already 10 days but I have no idea what to do with that. Whether to pay fee of tow by own or not? Fee is increasing day by day!
You should pay the tow account and if practical move the vehicle so you stop incurring storage fees. You can request reimbursement from the truck driver’s insurer in due course.
In SA you can make a Freedom Of Information request for access to SA Police records - form PD360. You may also consider approach to your local member of state parliament for assistance as the delay is causing you hardship and stress.
thank you so much for your help. I will try these steps. Anyways, I will be seeking your advice in future as well.